A bit frustrated (sorry in advance for explicit details)

hearnia
on 6/23/15 6:02 pm

Had my surgery on 6/11, went home on 6/13 feeling alright... and was feeling really good until yesterday.  My phase 1 diet instructions listed "oatmeal with 1-2 spoonfuls of creamy peanut butter" as a meal suggestion.  It seemed weird, but I tried it around 3pm yesterday.  The next seven hours were completely horrible; filled with terrible nausea, very strong gas pressure/pain, lots of dry heaving, and then dehydration.  Finally, I got a prescription for anti-nausea medication and was able to keep down a little water so that I didn't have to go to the hospital.  

This morning, I was feeling better and went for my two-week post-op appointment... they gave me a glowing review.  Everything is healing nicely and my "body must just not have liked that meal combination."  They told me that I could move on to a phase 2 diet, which begins to incorporate moist meats and steamed vegetables.  So, I cooked some ground turkey meat for dinner... had about three small bites, and threw up about 15 minutes later.

I'm feeling really good most of the time, but it seems very frustrating that every time I try a new food... I might just throw up 15 minutes later... or have horrible nausea/pain for hours.  Have others experienced this??  I'm supposed to go back to work next week and I'm worried about having anything other than cottage cheese or yogurt to eat because I could be throwing up at my office.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/suggestions...

Stacy C.
on 6/23/15 6:08 pm

Peanut butter is the worst! It is too sticky in my opinion. I'm almost 4 weeks out on just the consistency of it makes me sick. I recommend that you just take it slow. Try slow cooking some chicken in broths that makes it nice and soft and moist. When I got to soft food I started with slow cooked chicken and mixed that with plain Greek yogurt. I also did egg salad like that. Your introducing new food with food you've been eating. I hope this helps you. Remember it does get better!

shellymb
on 6/23/15 6:27 pm - Mulliken, MI

i am so sorry you are having such problems with food.  for now, no matter what they say I would try to keep the consistency of what you eat to moist and soft.  I am post op for years and cannot eat ground meat unless its part of a sauce. I eat alot of cottage cheese, greek yogurt, and there is no reason you cannot keep eating protein shakes. Did you do them before your surgery? keep them right on. I personally would not try any veggies at this time.  to this day there are some things that don't work for me. explore ( while at home) what you think you can tolerate. That way you don't do the dry heave thing at work. It has happened to me at work. i try small sips of room temp water after such episodes to help get over it...  

NYMom222
on 6/23/15 6:45 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

It takes time, yes have some sauce or broth on things, and chew, chew, chew and eat slowly. Ground anything didn't agree with me, yet steak I cut really small myself was OK... why? who knows. Chicken thighs in the crockpot are a great option to keep things moist. Balance it with your cottage cheese and yogurt... that is fine.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

cheapskate
on 6/23/15 7:45 pm
RNY on 03/30/15

we sound a lot alike. I am 12 weeks out and still cant eat ground turkey(too dry) or oatmeal. I had a sensitive stomach before the surgery so it doesnt surprise me.

I do well with turkey chili with no beans, yogurt, shakes, ricotta bake, Chic Fil A grilled chicken nuggets, baked or refried beans. I also have an enchilada bake from Costco I eat that is good for me. My menu is pretty plain right now. I never try anything new unless I am with just my husband or at home.

Just keep trying and you will find things. I know within the first 2 bites if it is going to stay so i dont press it.

The Salty Hag
on 6/23/15 7:49 pm
RNY on 05/20/13

Oatmeal at two weeks out? Peanut butter too? Yikes!!! I can't even imagine them together. I'm two years out and haven't even tried oatmeal. 

I would slow way down on the phase advancing. Stick with what you know works and just stay with it for a couple of weeks. 

That's what I'd do anyway. My diet advanced much more slowly. At two weeks post-op, I was not anywhere near steamed veggies or ground meats. 

I know there are many different plans, but peanut butter at two weeks out...and now steamed veggies? IMO it seems like they are advancing you too quickly. 

( I'd also be screeching LOUDLY at my nut telling her that their food plan stinks, but again...that's just me. )

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

Cooter N.
on 6/23/15 7:57 pm

Oh yes, peanut butter made me feel horrible.  I mean like dizzy, light headed and so nauseated. BAD! I can have some now but it has never worked for me after surgery. Just keep trying things and it will all get better, I promise. 

Surgery 2/3/15 Band to RNY Hw:272 CW:262   

cspotrun
on 6/23/15 8:10 pm
RNY on 07/01/14

I have that too! Lightheaded, nauseous, and feel like I need to lie down and sleep. I can have about 1-2 small bites of it and that's it. 

Karen   

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/23/15 11:38 pm - OH

I am surprised they suggested peanut butter. It is very high in fat, which might have been part of the reason that it made you ill.  Also, mixed in with oatmeal, I would almost expect that it would cause trouble. What a sticky mess!  Sorry, but I think that is a TERRIBLE a meal suggestion!

Ground meat often bothers people very early out, so give it a little more time and then try it again.  I know it sounds odd, but lots of people find that the ground beef in Wendy's chili goes down very well (and the nutritional stats on it are quite good), so you might consider that.  A small chili is around $1.60 and was 3 meals for me early out.

I don't know what else your meal plan recommends for "stage 2", but some type of flaky white fish and tuna (or even crab) usually goes down much better than poultry, pork, or beef.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Dartmouth
on 6/24/15 3:57 am - United Kingdom
RNY on 05/20/14

I agree with everyone here. Treat your pouch gently and kindly.   I would try purée foods for a week or two using very mild food   Fish or chicken thighs mixed with broth, Yogurt, purée soups..,then go to soft foods like fish or if you can tolerate them poached eggs or soft boiled eggs or cottage cheese

Just go easy   I wasn't on the kind of food you are eating until at least 6 weeks out and didn't eat meat or peanut putter or oatmeal for at least that time.....it was 3 months before I could tolerate most regular food and 6 months before I could eat raw veg

good luck....it really really gets better!

joan

Most Active