Traveling advice

Crimson-fairy
on 6/21/15 12:02 pm - Riverside, CA

i am traveling to London soon. I have traveled by plane and car since the surgery but never on a 10+ hour plane flight. I have no bottom left so I did buy a cushion to sit on but what else should I think of to bring?  Any advice?  

CerealKiller Kat71
on 6/21/15 1:49 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

I travel quite a bit and have found that I am actually far more comfortable now than I used to be.  My take-alongs are quite practical: I take at least 3 things to eat/snack on that are on plan so that I never ever have an excuse to eat something that I shouldn't.  I take packets of things to add to my water.  I always take a very small digital scale so I can weight my food.  

Oddly, for the first few post-wls flights, I brought my old seat belt extender.  I kept it in my carry-on -- at first, because I was dysmorphic and didn't realize how small I'd gotten.  Then, I did it to remind me where I had come from.  Whenever I was tempted to eat something because I was traveling/it was a special occasion/it was an emergency... I'd look at that extension.  

Have a wonderful trip to the UK.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Dartmouth
on 6/21/15 2:58 pm - United Kingdom
RNY on 05/20/14

I live in London and travel back and forth to the U.S. all the time.  It is not easy to get the same protein bars in the UK and crystal light is not really available so if you use those things, bring them with you.  I always fly with a couple of protein bars and some almonds and also sugar free sweets to avoid plugged up ears....

Also...it is freezing cold here at times in the summer so bring sweaters and an umbrella....WLS surgery or no!

joan

Crimson-fairy
on 6/21/15 7:15 pm - Riverside, CA

Thanks for the heads up on the weather. I am thinking of packing my protein bars. I am lucky that I am flying middle class and the food will be semi healthy. 

Dartmouth
on 6/22/15 12:57 am - United Kingdom
RNY on 05/20/14

I have never had a good or healthy airplane meal in the many long haul flights I have been on regardless of  class....( well I don't fly first!) so I usually take a stash with me so I don't feel hungry or annoyed....also 10 hours is a long time and I get sooooo bored...take something amusing and some easy snacks!

MickeyDee
on 6/21/15 4:14 pm

When I travel by plane I put single-servings of cashews, a couple of good protein bars, and a piece of fruit (usually a small apple) or a zip-lock bag of dried fruit in my carryon.  Not a problem to get through security and a lot better than the teensy-weensy bags of too-salty pretzels or almonds usually available.  Also, a bottle of water from a shop in the loading area.  You might also want to try taking along some turkey jerky.

iloveravens
on 6/21/15 4:56 pm
RNY on 08/13/14

I would bring jerky, Quest bars, crystal light packets, and before the flight I'd stop and get a meal that I could eat later (chili or some type of eggs/turkey bacon, or burger patty).  I've taken egg sandwiches from Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts and I will eat the insides.  Don't forget a blanket!  Airplanes are freeeeezing to me these days!  Have fun.

Lanie; Age: 43; Surgery Date (VSG): 8/12/14 w/complications resulting in RNY next day;

Height: 5' 6" SW: 249 Comfort Zone: 135-140 CW: 138 (10/13/17)

M1: -25 lbs M2: -12 M3: -13 M4: -7 M5: -11 M6: -10 M7: -7 M8: -7 M9: -3 M10: -8 M11: -4 M12: -4

5K PR - 24:15 (4/23/16) First 10K - 53:30 (10/18/15)

chris_ruff
on 6/22/15 9:28 am
RNY on 04/07/09 with

i travel all the time (for work and pleasure) and have gotten very comfortable doing it. definitely bring your own food. the food on the plane is atrocious, and the food in the airport is hugely over priced. i watch movies or try to sleep to pass the time, but on a long haul flight remember to stay hydrated (water is your friend!) and take a walk every hour or so to keep the blood flowing. have fun!

--Christina
Most Active