Caffeine after surgery??

gigemgarcia
on 6/23/15 2:57 pm
RNY on 12/08/14

Forgive me if this has been asked before. I tried searching for it, but I kept getting an error message from google in the frame where the results usually show.

I am a little frustrated with my WLS program because they aren't very clear as to WHY I can't have something. I was told I was never supposed to have caffeine again. I was led to believe (with vague explanations) that it was because it increases the risk of complications after surgery. 99% of the people that I know who had RNY all drink caffeine on a daily basis. WTH? I love unsweet tea and coffee, and I would love to have that extra boost on some days. What is the real reason I am not supposed to drink caffeine (if any at all)?

MScott01
on 6/23/15 3:23 pm - Indianapolis, IN
RNY on 05/21/14

I was told to wait six weeks after surgery before I went back to coffee. I have a couple of cups a day now, I do not drink anywhere close to the amount that did prior to surgery. I know for a lot people coffee can trigger cravings for the sweets that they used to enjoy with their coffee and they need to avoid it. I don't know the reason why your program bans caffeine they all have their quirks.

"Don't trade what you want most, for what you want at the moment" unknown

rocky513
on 6/23/15 3:38 pm - WI

I was served regular coffee in the hospital the day after my RNY.  I was told to limit it to a few cups per day for the first 6 weeks, but now I have no restriction on caffeine.  I drink decaf now because I get a little jumpy with too much caffeine.  I drink a LOT of coffee.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Emiepie
on 6/23/15 3:43 pm
RNY on 08/11/14

I was told no caffeine for a few months post op due to the risk of dehydration as it can act as a diuretic. I was able to add a sugar free latte in after we were confident I was getting adequate water. I was already having fat free milk at that point.

RNY 8/11/14 with Dr. Kelvin Higa PS Lipectomy 4/12/17 with Dr. John Burnett HW291.4/CW165/GW150

jenorama
on 6/23/15 5:00 pm - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

The main problem with caffeine is it can cause irritation of the stomach lining, which can lead to ulcers.  It can be a serious problem if you develop a bleeding ulcer in your blind stomach because there is no way to scope it or otherwise reach it for intervention other than major surgery.  Your new stoma (the connection from your pouch to your intestines) is also being bombarded by digestive juices and caffeine can contribute to an ulcer there as well.  This is also the main reason we are advised to avoid NSAIDS.  

I believed I was bulletproof and began indulging in what was a lot of caffeine for me in what was probably a little bit of a transfer addiction.  Several other people post on here that they don't have any issues with caffeine, so it must not be a problem, right?  What do doctors know?  I began having severe stomachaches that would last for over 12 hours and I was diagnosed with gastritis and did a course of Prilosec for about six weeks.  I no longer take the Prilosec and I have a strict limit of one caffeine drink a day and I haven't had a stomachache since.  

So, your mileage may vary, but please pay close attention to your body's signals.  It look a long time for me to put 2 and 2 together and I'm glad that I caught it early before anything worse developed.

Jen

gigemgarcia
on 6/24/15 6:35 am
RNY on 12/08/14

My issue is not that it is banned, but my program has told me not to eat foods with the guidance that my pouch "cannot handle it," when in actuality, it was only to force my body into ketosis to boost my weight loss. I am fine with the program, I just like to be told WHY instead of being misled. I was wondering what was so wrong with caffeine. I am already on prescription nexium for life as a preventative measure. Every one in our program is made to take it for life.

jenorama
on 6/24/15 8:36 am - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

Ulcers are going to be the main reason why. Just make sure to take it slow at first. I wish I'd figured out the connection sooner because that pain sucked really bad!  :D

Jen

aesposito
on 6/23/15 5:13 pm

I live off the stuff.  I will mention that caffeine tends to dehydrate me, but for every Diet Diew I suck down, I also have a bottle of water... it's a risk I am willing to take to indulge my habit/addiction.

Audrey

Highest weight: 340
Surgery weight: 313
Surgery date: 10/24/11
Current weight 170... 170 pounds lost!!!!

I am not a doctor, but I play one at work.

Doingrightin2015
on 6/23/15 6:12 pm
RNY on 03/10/15

My plan said no caffeine for 3 months. But at my 1 month check up I begged my doctor and he said I could have it just to becareful and not drink it to hot and not to tell my NUT he told me I could have it!! lOL

Doingitright2015

HW in life 282 HW265 at start SW 244 CW170

NYMom222
on 6/23/15 7:00 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I got regular coffee on my tray in the Hospital from day 1.... but as you will see here every program is different. Some rules are hard and fast - eat at least 60-80g protein a day, have at least 64 oz fluid.... others there is a big variance.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Most Active