Adolescent wls

aesposito
on 6/23/15 6:34 am

If Medicaid would pay for it, and if she qualifies medically for it... then I guess it would depend on the 16 year old.  It is very easy to eat around the surgery and ruin the tool after the initial weight loss... so if she did not have the maturity to take charge of her own health, I would say no.  But if she was a mature 16 year old, then maybe yes.

Audrey

Highest weight: 340
Surgery weight: 313
Surgery date: 10/24/11
Current weight 170... 170 pounds lost!!!!

I am not a doctor, but I play one at work.

lynnc99
on 6/23/15 6:52 am

As you see, there's no easy answer. You sound like the parent here - so here are some steps. There is a lot of research involved even in the best case scenario.

First - Talk with her primary care doc about investigating the option. See if s/he will even recommend it for a 16 yr old. This is the gateway to all things WLS. 

Contact the administrator for the insurance and see if there is coverage. It seems that no 2 plans are alike. 

Be aware that psychological counseling and documented medically supervised weight loss programs are prerequisites for most insurances and most high quality bariatric programs. In addition, most bariatric surgeons require a regimented pre-op diet (sometimes full liquid) with a minimum pre op weight loss in order to proceed with surgery. 

And also be aware that there can be a boat load of other pre op requirements...pulmonary, cardiac, sleep study, and on and on. Plus the "normal" things like blood work, etc. 

You might also consider exploring coverage for psychological counseling with someone who specializes in eating disorders or addiction. Whether surgery becomes an option or not, this may be helpful. 

And as others have said, any decision for surgery must be HER decision - not yours, as much as you are at your wits end. This changes her life. Forever. She could have surgery, lose weight, and be happier....but the true war comes with maintenance and compliance with requirements after weight loss. And it is a lifetime thing.

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/23/15 7:25 am

The only one I would consider - is VSG..  

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

NHPOD9
on 6/23/15 5:20 pm

This times 1000.

I am actually really surprised that RNY would be the first choice for an adolescent. She will have to live without the benefit of the pyloric valve or the use of NSAIDS for the rest of her life. And, as far as I know, the long term success rates of RNY vs. VSG are pretty similar. Is there a reason why RNY was selected? Or is it just the procedure the surgeon is most comfortable performing? If this is the case, I would seek out another opinion.

~Jen
RNY, 8/1/2011
HW: 348          SW: 306          CW:-fighting regain
    GW: 140

He who endures, conquers. ~Persius

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/24/15 12:33 am - OH

I agree!  I am very surprised that any surgeon would do a RNY on a 16 year old.

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

zombilady
on 6/24/15 7:36 am

Honestly it is the surgery insurance covers. NSAIDS can be worked around, I've had 3 major surgeries since my RNY and my team if doctors work around it (I'm fortunate enough to work within the University of Missouri system.) I've had no problems without my pyloric valve. Fingers crossed! Thank you for your post and concern.

Grim_Traveller
on 6/24/15 3:50 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Yes, for any younger person, VSG would be a better choice. In addition to all the other reasons, they can always revise to a DS further down the road. RNY would pretty much be it.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Laura in Texas
on 6/23/15 12:29 pm

I believe Dr. Alvarez in Mexico has done the sleeve on 16 year olds. If my daughter were mature and prepared (with my help) to follow the rules, I would definitely get it for her. Kids are cruel to obese kids.

I also assume you are the parent. Honestly, if you are obese, I would hope any surgeon willing to operate on your daughter would require you to get surgery, too. I don't think it could ever work with obese parents who are not working to be healthier, too.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

zombilady
on 6/23/15 4:33 pm

I had RNY in June of '11. She's seen be go through it all, her and I. See my post below. I would never take her to a foreign country for surgery. Minimum age in our state for a female is 13.

Stacy C.
on 6/23/15 12:41 pm

Watch the documentary Fed Up. Some really good information in there about kids and obesity. Also you should put her on a WSL surgery diet as if she has had it already. See if it is possible. Start small do a sugar detox and cut almost all sugar from her diet, no soda of any kind and no juice. I bet that alone will help her and if you add exercise that will really help. I was over wight as a teen so I know how hard it can be. I joined my high school softball team and that helped me a lot! Best of luck to you!

Most Active
Recent Topics