Not wanting to eat food?

Baerny
on 6/21/15 12:31 pm

Well I'm still very early out, I had surgery June 11th and I had my one week appointment on the 19th and I was told to move to pureed foods, and at 3 weeks out soft foods. The problem is I just don't want to eat, I get in all my water and protein and I just don't feel like eating between/ just not hungry and I also don't feel like the three tablespoons of food is really worth an hour or more of not getting my liquids in.. Is this OK? Or is this going to make me sick? I obviously don't plan to do this forever, just maybe until I am advanced to solid foods? Thank yiu all for taking the time to view an or reply to this!

mysty888
on 6/21/15 12:46 pm
RNY on 01/22/15

You will probably get a lot of varying advice, considering surgeons can have very different plans. My surgeon would be completely ok sticking to protein shakes only for as long as you could handle it, while other surgeons want patients to transition to getting what they need from food earlier on. The most important thing at this point is making sure you are getting your protein and water in. If you need more time to heal, take it. Do what works for you. I wanted regular food ASAP because I was on liquids for two weeks pre-surgery, and one week after. Even then, I was only supposed to eat once a day.  My protein levels in my blood work have been great. There will be plenty of time to struggle with eating for the next few weeks, months, and years, so take the time you need. You should not get sick if you are getting in the protein and water. 

CGCL
on 6/21/15 3:28 pm
RNY on 02/19/15

My post-op plan was clear liquids until I got hungry, or two weeks out. I didn't actually feel hungry until about 11 days out. My plan is also eat only when hungry, stop when you're satisfied--not stuffed. As long as you get your liquids in and gradually add in all your vitamins, my plan is fine with not eating unless you're hungry--even if it's not every day. 

Height: 6'0" HW 5/2013 295. Consult 7/29/14 275. SW 261. RNY 2/19/15. M1:-33! M2:-13.5. M3:-12. M4:-10.8. M5:-9.7. M6:-5. M7: -4.5. Pregnant 8/15-5/16. 10 weeks post partum: 173.

Baerny
on 6/21/15 4:33 pm

Thank you both for your replies! Yeah I figured I would be fine, today being fathers day, the smell of food just kills me lol! I'm not even hungry, but the smell just makes me realize how food has been affecting my life all these years..

Diaz16
on 6/22/15 2:42 am

I understand completely Baerny my surgery was 6/2/15 so I'm almost 3 weeks out im not hungry at all realky but seeing everyone eat n Snelling the dood knowing how good my familys cookimg in makes it hard. I wish i could do pureed foods but i have until wensday. My problem is i can't get my protein in cuz the shakes make me sick even water unless going super slow is hard to kerp down.  I'm hoping pureed foods will b easier for me to get protein good luck on your journey wish you well.

lindaannette
on 6/22/15 4:50 am

I thought i was the only one.  I just don't want to eat. I can hardly get my liquids in much less pureed food. I think my protien shakes are it for the moment.  

kim_pei
on 6/22/15 6:21 am - Canada

Hi...I am 4 weeks out tomorrow.  The first 2 weeks I could barely drink and  wasn't hungry either. Your doing great if your getting fluids and protein in! I struggled with that.  I did the pureed for 2 weeks and just measured and followed the plan. Some I did ok some I barely got anything in. I have started soft foods now...and it's a lot more chewing and work but I find I now feel like eating breakfast and supper! Progress! Just be patient and take it slow. The first 3 weeks are the toughest. This fourth week I am starting to feel pretty good again. Energy is starting to come back...food intake and water intake much better.  It really helps to share the experience and realize you are not as alone in this as you feel you are....All the best...Kim

Kathyjs
on 6/22/15 2:07 pm

Let me get this right . You want to just drink liquids until you hit solid stage? I am 13 years out and still feel it's a pain to eat. Welcome to your new life. Don't start this journey on the wrong foot already. 

Baerny
on 6/23/15 1:38 am

Yes I just wanted to do liquids because I am not hungry, and getting in liquids and protein and all my vitamins is already a huge task for me.. But I'm trying and its going OK! I changed my protein drinks, and oh my god it made a world of  difference! The premier protein is great tasting, but its just toooo much for me it made me feel super stuffed. I switched to a water based protein and it goes down a lot smoother.. I was able to get all my liquids and protein in AND eat a little refried beans (My mom freaks out knowing I'm not eating, I ate to calm her). Good luck everyone on your journeys its so awesome to see so many people here commenting were all so close together with our journey! We all can do this and succeed I just know we can!

Most Active