Post op almost 6 yrs ... Eating bad and it's my fault

sandy M.
on 6/20/15 9:32 pm - guthrie, KY

I know what I am doing I know why I'm doing what I'm doing but I haven't stopped myself... My question is has anyone if you backslidden and was you able to get back on track or did anyone go back to the basics 

looking forward to what the future holds...
sandy m.
                        hw-330 sw-320 cw-210gw-159

Ladytazz
on 6/20/15 10:23 pm

I had my surgery exactly one year after you and I have found it's a daily, I won't say struggle because I'm not struggling, but a daily awareness of the choices I make.

I have backslidden in the sense of allowing myself too many sugar free snacks.  What started as an occasional treat became a daily obsession.

I knew I had a problem when I couldn't go one day without sugar free candy or sugar free pudding.  It wasn't really affecting my weight, yet, but ultimately it was a slippery slope I wanted to avoid.

What worked for me was the same thing that worked in 2010 when I had my revision.  Major surgery forced me to not have those things for a while and by the time I could eat them again I decided that maybe it would be better if I continued to avoid them, not forever but for the time being.

I guess the only thing that works for me in getting back on track is white knuckling it until I lose the obsession or fixation or whatever it is.

I didn't get back into really bad habits but I was heading in that direction.  Now I have an opportunity to evaluate how I am eating and decide which direction I would like to pursue.  Yes, those things taste good but like always that doesn't last long and I always wind up having more and more.  It is all or nothing for me with some things and it's up to me to be honest with myself and decide if it's worth it.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Missella20
on 6/21/15 4:52 am
RNY on 07/11/13

Hi,

I did not lose weight my second year, I maintained. I know I was eating too much. Now I am almost at my 2nd year anniversary and I am energized! I am not sure why the change but I got a fit bit, am logging my foods and water and closely watching my calorie intake. It helps so much! And I am exercising, mainly walking 10k steps a day using my fit bit. And The scale is moving again! I plan to lose 20-30 more just by staying under 1000 cal and walking. Of course I am mainly just eating protein. If it takes a year or 2 I am ok with that. It's working! Have you considered a fit bit or something similar? I attach it to my bra with a clip and then it syncs to my phone and computer to check my daily steps and to enter my water and calories. They also have wristbands if you prefer that.

Good Luck!

HW 264    SW 234    CW 149    5'4" 

The Salty Hag
on 6/21/15 6:19 am
RNY on 05/20/13

I'm just over two years out. I had a backslide and gained 13 lbs. I lowered my calories, and I went back to basics. I cut out eating crappy food. I had to white knuckle it for 4 days, but I feel MUCH better for it, and now I feel like I did before I screwed up. (And I'm 6 lbs down as of this morning...yay! ) 

I think going back to basics, and cutting back on calories is the way to go to fight a regain. 

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

lizzygirl
on 6/21/15 10:34 pm - Milton, Canada

I too am 6 years out.  I have back slid and gained and lost.  For me anytime I stop measuring and being accountable, the wt will creep up. I stopped getting on the scale for a while and that was a problem.  My weekly weigh in allowed me to act immediately if I gained.  This winter I did not weigh weekly and I gained more than I ever have during the winter.  It is definitely harder to lose now, but I'm doing it by having a daily activity goal and tracking food. I use my phone and a fit bit.  I personally did need to go back, read the menus, and only take out what I needed to eat each day. I have finally seen some results.  It was a slow start to don't be disheartened.  The plus with a device like a fit bit is you can share your goals and challenge your friends.  This has been a huge help to motivate me to meet my activity goal, no mater how late and how tired I am.

Good luck!

lynnc99
on 6/22/15 5:51 am

I am also 6 years out and regained 35 lbs in 2014. Lots of "reasons" but the bottom line was - too much junk came back into my diet. 

Since November I have lost 25 lbs. by sensible eating. Nothing you don't already know: protein first, then veggies. Log your food. Lots of water. etc. 

Avoid the temptation to jump on a fad diet bandwagon. Losing what you have gained is very very difficult and very very slow. But every step is a step forward. (Writing this as much for myself as for you as I'm a little discouraged right now, with 10 lbs to go!)

sandy M.
on 6/22/15 6:34 am - guthrie, KY

I have gained 50 lbs and am devastated about it... It will always be a struggle and I know what I have done wrong...I know we can beat this... Congrats on the 25 lbs ... I'm tempted to try to start over like I just had surgery.  Thanks for the support TODAY IS A NEW DAY!

sandy m.

lynnc99
on 6/22/15 6:47 am

OK can I share something I've learned?

It's not really feasible to start out like we just had surgery. 

We don't have the restriction of a brand new post op. Our insides aren't swollen....etc. So if we start the day thinking, "Fluids only...sip sip sip..." here's what can happen:

Breakfast: ok I got this

Snack: Holding up ok.

Lunch: Hmmmm...

By dinner time? I could eat the walls. 

After dinner? Get out of my way.

This is a type of thinking that we used to fall back on a lot in our MO days. Don't eat. The truth is we know better, but in the emotional space of facing regain, we feel horrible. Devastated, as you said. Guilty, ashamed. All that.

The core of it all is:

No sugar. No refined carbs. Or limit those refined carbs to maybe 1 slice of bread a day. No crackers, pretzels, etc. 

Healthy fats but be very careful of things like almonds....

Protein first. 

Watch your portions - we can easily be in a place where we distort our portions once again, and end up eating too much even if it is all the right things.

Log your food on My Fitness Pal or Lose It app - more accurate than just writing it down. 

Good luck! Let me know how you do today!

sandy M.
on 6/22/15 7:47 am - guthrie, KY

Thank you so much for your advice.  You make a lot of sense.  I had gotten down to 175 by watching my calories and portion control but I'll let a lot of emotional garbage get me down so I put a lot of garbage in my body I know what I need to do. Good luck to you as well we got this :-)

sandy m.

Imsaved
on 6/23/15 10:10 pm - TN
I had my surgery in 2012 I weighted approx 254lbs I lost the amt that I was supposed to before my surgery I really lost quickly. Then after surgery I got down to 154lbs quick!!! And when I say quick I mean really quick after surgery I went by the book on everything. Then slowly I noticed I was craving things that I shouldn't and just as quickly as I lost the weight post op I began to gain my weight back! I am so disgusted with myself. Is there anyway I can get back on track after so long? Does your pouch stretch to the point that you can;t get on track again? I need to lose it and get on the right amt of vitamins, fats, carbs, and proteins and back to some sort of exercising... Any suggestions would be so much appreciated
Most Active