Cruise advice?

Pokemom
on 6/18/15 7:35 am
RNY on 12/29/14

Hello WLS friends!  Here's a fun topic for a lovely morning.  I am headed out on a cruise next week, my first cruise ever.  Taking the entire family--husband and 4 kids--to Alaska.  Very excited.

I could use your advice/experience.  I have not been able to find info about these questions related to my post-surgery self:

Vitamins: would I be able to pack them NOT in their bottles?  I wanted to make myself little one-serving vitamin pouches in advance, in small plastic zip bags.  This way, I think I am less likely to skip vitamins, especially on busy port days.  Also, I want to save packing space and do not want to pack a lot of bottles.  But I  am worried that without the bottles, they might look like something that needs to be confiscated. What do you think?

Snacks/teas:  Will there be a problem with me taking aboard a few of my own snacks/tea bags?  I know the cruise ships have food and drinks galore, but I want to have a few reliable things to go to in port, or that meet my habits for comfort/success when everyone else is indulging.

Other advice? :-)

Patm
on 6/18/15 7:43 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

I loved the Alaskan cruise. The scenery is beautiful.

I have never had a problem putting my vitamins in other containers. I always have them as carry-on so I do not lose them if there is a mix-up with my luggage.

I also took protein powder (only used it once) and protein bars. There was always a lot of cheese and yogurt s often didn't need it. But I was glad I had it when needed.

Have a great trip

Amy H.
on 6/18/15 8:39 am - Raleigh, NC
RNY on 06/08/15

I hope you have a great cruise! Alaska cruises seem so wonderful, someday I hope to go too :)

I have done about 6 cruises and have always done both of what you asked. I never take full bottles, always separate meds/vits into bags or containers. Should be no issue. I also always carry my own teas (I am picky) and snacks for myself and DD. Depending on what they are (crushable or not, perishable, meltable, needed asap, etc) determines if they are in checked bags or carried on. I have checked items that are crushable by putting them into cheap dollar store plastic containers, tighly packed and in the luggage between clothes,and they make it just fine. And this was a flight, then to stay at a reosrt, then transported to ship, then loaded and delivered to our stateroom, so lots of movement and possibility of crushing. Just incase you are looking to do so.

Have a great time!!! And enjoy all those lil bites of good food on there :)

Amy

banded 12/2006, slip revision 7/2013, revision to rny 6/8/2015

(deactivated member)
on 6/18/15 9:30 am

When I travel I always put my vitamins in one of those pill boxes the ones that have the days of the week on them. I bought a large one to fit all of my vitamins. It was a lot easier to do than putting them in a bottle or taking all of the bottles.  I have flown about 6 times this year and two of the times were out of the country. I was able to keep my vitamins with me and my meds. I do keep my prescription meds in their bottles though. I just put them all in my carry on bag. 

Snacks I am sure they are allowed also tea would be okay.

Have a great trip

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/18/15 9:50 am

I put my vits in the little zip lock baggies. never had an issue. I typically have mine in a carry-on luggage.   It was so much easy to pack and to take with me. 

I take individually packed protein powders with me, shaker bottle, extra teas (that i like),  sweetener (I use stevia) plu a shaker bottle, and a water bottle (24 oz) that I can carry with me.

Protein bars, jerky, water flavoring, pain meds, anti nausea meds (chewable bonine - or equivalent - 24 hr - always took it before bed), bathroom freshener (look at small poo-pourri spray - unless you by yourself - that is great idea..), wet wipes. 

also - in case of food poisoning -norovirus - I took activated charcoal capsules - some anti-diarrhea med have NSAIDS - I better be prepared than not. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

mommomx2
on 6/18/15 6:50 pm

I have done 5 cruises since my surgery done in 2012. I put my vitamins in the suitcase in the 7 day planner or just put them in my pocketbook. I buy a case of bottle water on the boat and add my crystal light to it. I have also taken a case of water on the boat - a lot cheaper. check with your cruise company on that. I packed my protein bars to have if needed.

I used the gym and walked on the ship daily plus with the excursions I got my walking in. I did watch what I ate but I learned that the main dining room served breakfast to you so I was not tempted to go the buffet and taste test everything. lunch was a salad and then dinner was the dining room.

enjoy your trip - you will be so busy

selhard
on 6/18/15 10:57 pm, edited 6/18/15 10:59 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

I've read Alaska has almost constant daylight this time of year, lucky you to get to experience no darkness. Unfortunately, my digestive system forbids cruises-- being away even one day can trigger a bout of bathroom issues.  My farmer husband is perfectly happy to never leave the farm, so trips are something I can be excited over for someone else--today, it's YOU.  Digestive-happy travels :)

Most Active