I am beyond frustrated and in tears.

Pokemom
on 6/18/15 10:44 am
RNY on 12/29/14

I am so sorry about your dad.  In another post of yours, it sounded like you had not even had a chance to attend a funeral or memorial service for him, and that lack of closure must be extra hard.  I love my own dad so much, and I would miss him terribly.  As i have read this post and your other posts lately, they have made me weep because your grief is so evident.  But i believe your dad is there for you: your memory of his love and support can give you strength and discipline going forward.

So, what to do?  How to feel?  What to think?  You have had some major blows.  I do feel that our emotional stress affects our physical resilience, and also that our physical stress affects our emotional resilience.  Your body and mind are seeking equilibrium from each other and not yet finding it.  But they will!  Other responders here have given you great practical advice about feeling restriction, and following your plan.  Keep fighting the good fight, and allow yourself to grieve, and things will even out before long, and the weight will come off.  I am sure of it.

kaniky
on 6/18/15 10:55 am
RNY on 05/18/15
On June 18, 2015 at 10:44 AM Pacific Time, Pokemom wrote:

I am so sorry about your dad.  In another post of yours, it sounded like you had not even had a chance to attend a funeral or memorial service for him, and that lack of closure must be extra hard.  I love my own dad so much, and I would miss him terribly.  As i have read this post and your other posts lately, they have made me weep because your grief is so evident.  But i believe your dad is there for you: your memory of his love and support can give you strength and discipline going forward.

So, what to do?  How to feel?  What to think?  You have had some major blows.  I do feel that our emotional stress affects our physical resilience, and also that our physical stress affects our emotional resilience.  Your body and mind are seeking equilibrium from each other and not yet finding it.  But they will!  Other responders here have given you great practical advice about feeling restriction, and following your plan.  Keep fighting the good fight, and allow yourself to grieve, and things will even out before long, and the weight will come off.  I am sure of it.

Thank you for your kindness and thoughtful words.  You touched me and I appreciate it. 

I never said it would be easy. I said it would be worth it.
M1: -15, M2: -14, M3: -8, M4 -11, M5 -8, M6 -7, M7 -8, M8 -4

GoDawgs1979
on 6/18/15 11:13 am

I'm also revising from band to bypass.  I haven't had my RNY yet, but I've read that the restriction with the bypass isn't the same as with the band.  With the band we have a pouch with a teeny tiny opening the size of a pencil eraser that food has to work through.  The opening from the new stomach into intestine with bypass is much larger than the opening we have with the band, so you won't feel the same type of fullness.

My advice is 1) Keep measuring and following the rules and 2) Quit weight yourself so often.  Weigh once a week at most.  Our bodies do crazy things during weight loss, and it will stall and sometimes even go up.  But the bypass is a pretty much tried and true way to get the weight off, so if you keep following the rules, it's going to happen.

Are you taking your vitamins?  Does your surgeon have you taking B12 in addition to a multivitamin?  If not, I'd go ahead and add a B12 supplement.  If you aren't short on B12, then the excess is just expelled into your urine, so it won't hurt anything to add it.

Roma
on 6/18/15 11:59 am
RNY on 06/15/15

Please try not to stress about the scale right now. What a terrible month you have had, I am so sorry for your loss. Take care of yourself, make sure you are drinking water, taking vitamins, and getting protein. Put the scale away for a bit and focus on your emotional heath and talking to people who can help with your mourning.

Referral: 8/14; Orientation TWH: 12/14; Nurse: 01/15; SW, Dietician, Psych: 2/15; Surgeon: 5/15; RNY: June 15/2015

Kathyjs
on 6/18/15 12:32 pm

Two homemade meatballs average. 500 calories. Ricotta bake is pasta isn't it? I don't want to be hard on you as you are hard enough on yourself but dear lady I am 12 years post op and don't eat that much in a day. You won't feel the restriction you were used to with the band. Also at one month no way could I eat hamburger. Don't eat until you feel 'restriction ' or you will know the meaning of dumping. I am so sorry for your loss

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 6/18/15 12:44 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Ricotta bake is not pasta.  It's one of the most popular foods to eat post surgery.

OP, it does sound like you're consuming a lot of calories.  Are you tracking what you eat using an app like My Fitness Pal?  

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

kaniky
on 6/18/15 1:06 pm
RNY on 05/18/15
On June 18, 2015 at 12:44 PM Pacific Time, GeekMonster (Mo), Purveyor of Fine Meats wrote:

Ricotta bake is not pasta.  It's one of the most popular foods to eat post surgery.

OP, it does sound like you're consuming a lot of calories.  Are you tracking what you eat using an app like My Fitness Pal?  

I'm using the Lose It app.  It tracks calories, fats, carbs, proteins, etc.  I think it's just like My Fitness Pal except it was a free download. 

I need to ask my NUT how many calories I should be consuming in a day.  

Thanks!

boxtop2006
on 6/18/15 4:41 pm
RNY on 03/24/15

First off I would like to say, I can't imagine the pain you are going through right now.  I am so sorry for your loss, I will keep you and your family in my prayers (I hope this is OK with you).

I am almost 3 months out, had surgery on 24 March.  I eat between 550 - 700 calories a day getting at least 70 grams of protein a day.  I track my food on MFP and have my sugars and carbs set very low.  I measure all my food and usually can only eat about 2oz of meat and maybe 3 or 4 greenbeens before I am comfortable, I never eat until I'm full. If I remember correctly the lap band doc said it takes 20 minutes after you are done eating for your stomach to tell your brain it's full, this means if you eat until your full well in 20 minutes you are over full!

I exercise daily, I either go for a walk or use those bands to help with strength, use a gazelle (easy on the knees), a stepper, I just do something to get my body moving.  RNY is a tool but that's all it is, we still have to work hard to get to where we want to be (smaller/healthier).  I get really bad migraines they are syptoms of a disease I have and well exercise can make it worse but I've found if I just push through the pain and exhaustion, I usually feel better in the long run and feel a bit accomplished (I love that feeling).  If my head is just too bad to get up, well I use those bands and work my arms (at least I'm moving).

I also had a lap band, it erroded into my stomach and I had to wait a yr before I could have RNY.  I gained all my weight back and had to start over.  It sucked!  I am now 7lbs from where I was when I originally lost weight from the lap band, what a GREAT feeling!  Anyways, I wish you the very best and again I am so sorry for your loss! 

Consult: 235 Surgery: 209 Current: 158.5 Goal: 140     

kaniky
on 6/18/15 1:04 pm
RNY on 05/18/15
On June 18, 2015 at 12:32 PM Pacific Time, Kathyjs wrote:

Two homemade meatballs average. 500 calories. Ricotta bake is pasta isn't it? I don't want to be hard on you as you are hard enough on yourself but dear lady I am 12 years post op and don't eat that much in a day. You won't feel the restriction you were used to with the band. Also at one month no way could I eat hamburger. Don't eat until you feel 'restriction ' or you will know the meaning of dumping. I am so sorry for your loss

The meatballs are grocery store brand and are 80 calories per meatball.  They aren't very big at all.  The Ricotta bake is one that is made for WLS people and has no noodles in it at all.  Thanks for your concern!

Kathyjs
on 6/18/15 12:36 pm

I should add that quite often before a loss you gain a few pounds. You didn't gain fat at this stage. Maybe weigh once a week?

Most Active