Deca scan

Grandmaneice
on 6/14/15 6:25 pm
RNY on 03/24/14

My GYN wanted me to have another deca scan done to see how things are since my surgery 15 months ago.  It has shown I have the start of osteoporosis and to take calcium and vit d. Which I do 500g 3 times a day.  I was just wondering if there is more I should take.

Kathyjs
on 6/14/15 6:48 pm

That's a question your dr would have to answer as it would depend on your lab work 

ShebasMom
on 6/14/15 9:57 pm
Revision on 07/05/16

We are suppose to take between 1500-2000 mg of calcium citrate a day, so you can up your dose to 2000mg. Calcium labs do not tell us if we're taking enough calcium.  Your body will rob calcium from your bones if your serum calcium gets low. The dexa scan tells us how our bones are doing. Have you had your vit D level checked? Most rny'ers need at least 4000-5000IU daily of dry vit D3 to keep their levels above 70.

HW322 SW296 GW150 LW196 

RNY 8-29-11

Revision to Distal bypass 7-5-16

SW262 GW165 

John 3:16

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/15/15 6:47 pm - OH

I had been taking 1500-1800 mg of calcium citrate daily for 6 years post op, and having DEXA scans every 2 years, when suddenly one showed some bone loss in one hip.  I increased my calcium to 2000mg daily, and had a repeat scan about 15 months later and it showed some additional bone loss. I saw an endocrinologist who had a couple of suggestions, but nothing earth shaking and nothing guaranteed to help.  

So... I decided to try multivitamin patches to see if the calcium would get absorbed better that way.  I have a history of kidney stones, so I am a little hesitant about the calcium since no one can tell me if calcium via patch contributes to stones.  I will be having labs again in late July, so will know then whether the calcium via patch is helping or not. I just wanted to throw it out there as a possibility.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

elma
on 6/17/15 3:44 pm - Tremonton, UT

there are other things that can rob your calcium to. Medications, Nexuim, if you get the Depo birth control shot you are only supposed to get it for like 4 years. No one told me that not even my Dr. until I changed Dr's and I had been on it for 18 yrs so Google your medications and make sure they are not contributing to the loss.

Most Active