1 year anniversary...still 50 lbs to lose and the loss is stalled!

Sisterscaleback
on 6/13/15 5:45 pm
RNY on 06/16/14

I work out at the YMCA  3-4 days a week on weight machines for 45 minutes per day and I get my cardio through walking outside although that should be increased.  My weight has stalled the past 2 months. My 1 year is up and even though I use my fitness pal religiously, I can't seem to find the sweet spot for the custom macros for Carbs, Protein and Fats.  Before anyone says to limit the carbs, I must stress that for weight building, carbs are necessary (as well as protein) for fuel. Otherwise your body will burn muscle instead of fat which defeats the purpose of strength training. 

Does anyone who works out building muscle regularly, have an idea what my goals should be for % Carbs, Fat ?   (I generally stay around 80-100 protein per day)

I am starting to think it is not possible to burn fat and build muscle at the same time!

Thanks!

Laura in Texas
on 6/13/15 5:59 pm

How many calories are you eating? Exercise is not a free pass to eat more. It does not work for the overwhelming majority of us. You will need to cut back your calories to lose more weight. 

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Sisterscaleback
on 6/13/15 6:12 pm
RNY on 06/16/14

I am currently eating between 1200 - 1400 calories per day depending on workouts.  What do you think my calories should be at for 1 year post op?

cspotrun
on 6/13/15 7:31 pm
RNY on 07/01/14

I'm about a year post op and eat 1000 calories per day, and maintain on that.  Sounds like what you are eating has you in maintenance.  When I was losing, I was at 800 calories.  

Karen   

lynnc99
on 6/14/15 10:25 am

I'd agree that for me, the calorie count would be high. I am 6 years out and maintain at 900-1100 calories. The key for me, though, is less about specific %s than about simply keeping refined carbs and sugars OUT of the picture! And some days I do better than others!

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/13/15 11:40 am, edited 6/13/15 12:32 pm
On June 13, 2015 at 5:45 PM Pacific Time, Sisterscaleback wrote:

I work out at the YMCA  3-4 days a week on weight machines for 45 minutes per day and I get my cardio through walking outside although that should be increased.  My weight has stalled the past 2 months. My 1 year is up and even though I use my fitness pal religiously, I can't seem to find the sweet spot for the custom macros for Carbs, Protein and Fats.  Before anyone says to limit the carbs, I must stress that for weight building, carbs are necessary (as well as protein) for fuel. Otherwise your body will burn muscle instead of fat which defeats the purpose of strength training. 

Does anyone who works out building muscle regularly, have an idea what my goals should be for % Carbs, Fat ?   (I generally stay around 80-100 protein per day)

I am starting to think it is not possible to burn fat and build muscle at the same time!

Thanks!

"Weight building" is not designed to lose Weight. 

You probably bulding your muscles around fat, (marbling effect), limiting your body ability to burn that fat. You are bulking up. 

There are exercise to tone and slim, and there are some to bulk up. 

IMO -You can't do both. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Sisterscaleback
on 6/13/15 7:53 pm
RNY on 06/16/14

Thank you!

CerealKiller Kat71
on 6/13/15 7:44 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

I am 17 months out and am firmly in maintenance at 950 calories a day.  I work out 4 to 6 days a week at the YMCA -- I have lost 193 pounds. I am 5 pounds from my goal and at a normal BMI currently.  To lose weight, I must be under 900 calories.  I've tested it repeatedly.  I have 520 days logged in MyFitnessPal and weigh/measure everything -- 950 calories, i am in maintenance and do not lose.  You likely are eating too many calories.  

I have had my body fat/muscle mass tested repeatedly at via BodPod at the Cleveland Clinic.  I am losing mostly fat --- not muscle.  I have never eaten over 45 grams of carbs in a day since surgery.  Eating carbs does not prevent muscle loss according to the clinic and my experience.  It does prevent weight loss for me.  

My macros are 900 or less calories a day, 80+ protein, 45 or less carbs.  On MyFitnessPal this translates to 20% carbs/40% protein/20% fat.

Hope this helps.  

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Sisterscaleback
on 6/13/15 7:56 pm
RNY on 06/16/14

Thank you Kat! I appreciate your info and will test this out to see how it works for me!

Cathy

rocky513
on 6/13/15 7:45 pm - WI

It is not possible to build muscle mass while you are in a large calorie deficit after WLS.   You can exercise and eat lots of protein to try and  prevent muscle loss, but you will not gain muscle as long as you run a calorie deficit.  You need about 200 to 300 calories over your maintenance calorie level to gain muscle.  If you eat more than 200 to 300 calories over maintenance level, the excess calories will be stored as fat.  It's a delicate balance to build muscle. That's the science.  You would be better served by eating high protein and cutting the carbs to get the weight off now, while exercising to prevent muscle loss.  Then when you get to goal, work on building your muscle back up.  

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Most Active