Post op question

Lily2
on 6/14/15 8:00 pm

i am 2 1/2 wks post op RNY and started on the pureed stage.  After my Dr.s visit the other day they instructed me to eat (3) 1/4 to 1/2 cup meals (pureed) and also 3 protein drinks between these meals.  They said I wouldnt get enough protein in otherwise just yet.  They also said I should be taking in 800-1000 calories a day.  I thought they were crazy!  I never figured I could get a half cup of pureed food in 3 times a day but,  seems I can!  Today I took in 760 calories, 90 protein and 61 carbs by early evening so I eliminated my evening last protein shake. My question is, is this to much??  I know I have malabsorption now so does that mean the calories in are not being absorbed?  Doc told me not to worry about calories or carbs, that the purpose is to slowy start introducing food to my pouch and intestines. I just dont know and am a little concerned that I am eating to much!  Any info would be very much appreciated.

Chilipepper
on 6/14/15 8:51 pm

The nerves are cut so you won't feel restriction for awhile. It is important to measure to make sure you aren't overfilling your small 2-4 oz pouch. It sounds like you are doing good. Protein heals so it's good you are getting some in. Before all of that though it is important to get all of your fluids in. Dehydration can happen quickly with us. I would try and cut those carbs in half. They will slow your loss and it's important to get into Ketosis as soon as you can. That is when we lose our weight faster. Otherwise sounds good. Calories count and we still absorb carbs as we did prior to surgery. He is right it's good to gradually start introducing foods into your diet, just make sure they are protein. 

Good luck on your journey. 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

Lily2
on 6/15/15 6:07 am

Thank you for the info.  My carb intake yesterday was the first time they went that high, its normally been between 25-30. I had oatmeal with cottage cheese for breakfast.  And I am getting all my water in, thats never really been a problem.

Chilipepper
on 6/15/15 7:24 am

I am glad you are aware..  Ditch that carb loaded oatmeal and eat more cottage cheese.. You could probably have some soft scrambled eggs now. It sounds like you are off to a great start. 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

Lily2
on 6/15/15 7:42 am

I did just that this morning, cottage cheese no oatmeal.  Thank you for the encouraging words.  At this stage its just trial and error and it means alot to hear positve feedback from someone who has been there, done that!

Doingrightin2015
on 6/15/15 1:59 am
RNY on 03/10/15

Don't know what protein shakes you are doing but wanted to add in that the premier protein shakes premade are low in Carbs!

Doingitright2015

HW in life 282 HW265 at start SW 244 CW170

Lily2
on 6/15/15 6:13 am

I am drinking Syntax Matrix 3 x a day,  100 calories each.  I cannot drink Premier shakes as the seem to make me nauseous and gassy.  The carbs yesterday came from my first time eating 1/4 cup steel cut oatmeal.  Normally ive been eating refried beans.

Most Active