Fruits???

SkinnyScientist
on 6/14/15 3:53 pm

I hear ya. The tast/enjoyment is temporary. But what excess calories do to our body can be very permanent in a detrimental way.

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

Poodlemac
on 6/13/15 10:34 pm
RNY on 09/26/14

A doctor at a support meeting I went to said, "realistically, no one here needed WLS because they ate too many strawberries!"  I agree. "Whole, clean, healthy foods in moderation make for long term success."  Said the good doctor. 

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/14/15 5:33 am

And most likely the good doc was not MO, with not major issues processing sugars. 

For some of us, we process sugar-and fructose differently...that's why we become MO. 

I am 7 years post op, and any time I avoid eating sugar, starches, fruits, etc... Makes me gain weight.. I may eat some berries, 1-2 times a week... Other than that- I try to avoid most fruits.  

Carbs trigger sugar cravings for me. Once I start eating fruits - the hunger returns...and I want more and more and more... 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

CerealKiller Kat71
on 6/14/15 5:54 am
RNY on 12/31/13
On June 14, 2015 at 5:33 AM Pacific Time, H.a.l.a. B. wrote:

And most likely the good doc was not MO, with not major issues processing sugars. 

For some of us, we process sugar-and fructose differently...that's why we become MO. 

I am 7 years post op, and any time I avoid eating sugar, starches, fruits, etc... Makes me gain weight.. I may eat some berries, 1-2 times a week... Other than that- I try to avoid most fruits.  

Carbs trigger sugar cravings for me. Once I start eating fruits - the hunger returns...and I want more and more and more... 

AMEN.

This is so true. People, including dieticians and doctors who aren't morbidly obese sometimes fail to recognize that we aren't like naturally normal weighted people.  I will never ever be like my husband who can and does eat over 5500 calories per day, has 15% body fat and loses two pounds if he skips one meal.  Thank god the endocrinologists at the Cleveland Clinic not only recognize this, but study and research this -- which is why I am on the metabolic eating plan after WLS -- because if I were a typical weighted person, I would have never needed surgery in the first place.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

SkinnyScientist
on 6/14/15 3:55 pm

the hunger returns...and I want more and more and more...

-Me too.  And then I kick my ass wondering why I started in the first place. And it can take up to THREE DAYS for the hunger/cravings to go away.  I feel like some sort of crazed carb vampire!

SkinnyScientist
on 6/14/15 3:56 pm

And it really is the alluring crackers.  Whoever invented cheez-its...grrr..

Marys1521
on 6/14/15 11:47 am

Moderation, moderation, moderation!!!

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/14/15 5:36 am

For some of us, we process sugar-and fructose differently...that why we become MO. I know it was in my care. 

I was eating very healthy before RNY,  Now I know I was eating way too many fruits and veggies, and my body stored it all. 

I am 7 years post op, and I try to avoid sugar, starches, fruits, etc... Makes me gain weight.. I may eat some berries, 1-2 times a week... Other than that- I try to avoid fruits. They are like a crack to me - the more I eat - the more I want...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Marys1521
on 6/14/15 11:50 am

You remind me of me! Some fruits I just love( or did love!) too much. I agree that they are addictive. You know what they say about potato chips..."You can't eat just one!". That is how I am about some fruits.

chulbert
on 6/14/15 8:47 am - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

I eat fruit all the time. 

Most Active