Fruits???

Marys1521
on 6/13/15 6:34 pm

I'm only a month out but I am missing my summertime foods. Are we ever able to eat fresh peaches,watermelon, cantaloupe, blueberries, strawberries again?

rocky513
on 6/13/15 7:17 pm - WI

The body reads fruit as sugar.  Fruit will slow or stop your weight loss. If you must eat fruit, limit it to one serving per day and choose a low glycemic fruit that won't raise your blood sugar too much.  Strawberries and raspberries are a good choice.  Remember that a serving size is 4 strawberries.  I would skip the melons and peaches until you get to your goal weight.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Marys1521
on 6/14/15 11:43 am

That is what I thought!!! I AM WILLING TO give up anything to not ever be obese again! I do look a little longingly at the watermelons but I think they have always been a red light food for me anyway!thanks!

SkinnyScientist
on 6/14/15 3:48 pm

When my PCOS was undiagnosed, I GAINED 5 lbs in one week eating watermelon AND staying BENEATH my weigh****chers points.  It was the watermelon (which was really sugary) that tipped my NP off.

I also like your "can do attitude".  There are some things that just aren't for us now and may not be for us in the future.

I am 1.5 years out from surgery and stayed away from breads and other refined carbs the whole time.  Today, at a brunch, I decided I wanted a blueberry muffin.

It felt like someone kicked me in the stomach! I am/was dumper (puking and everything) but who would have though a blueberry muffin ahd that much sugar. We are talkling home-made..nt the bakery deli kind.

Now I know blueberry muffins are forever gone... Not that I mind. Not worth the physical pain

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

cspotrun
on 6/13/15 7:28 pm
RNY on 07/01/14

I didn't eat fruit until I hit goal.  they actually make me dump unless i eat it right after protein and only small amounts.  Still, it's been lovely to have a couple bites of watermelon and a few blueberries.

Karen   

Marys1521
on 6/14/15 11:44 am

Thanks... Maybe next year one or two bites or maybe never!

SkinnyScientist
on 6/14/15 3:52 pm

I like to mix asian pears and/or gala apples with cheese (like the light baby bels). But I ONLY do that on my Friday Figure skating days.  The pears are hydrating, the cheese slows it down, and because I am skating for 3 hours I figure I burn it off.

For me, the best non-fruit snacks are the zucchini and cucumber coins with tzaki and/or hummus. 

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

CerealKiller Kat71
on 6/13/15 8:03 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

This may come off as snarky, but I don't mean it to.

This Christmas, I missed Christmas cookies.  I still didn't eat them. Christmas cookies, fruit and other sugars helped me get to 344 lbs.  I try to look at my new relationship with food as a day to day thing rather than "will I ever be able to" -- because just because I am able to doesn't mean I should.  At a month out, I was best served by working on how I saw food rather than concentrating on what I was missing...

That said, I will tell you what I don't miss.

I don't miss not fitting into booths.  I don't miss shopping at Plus sized stores, wearing 3x's and paying top dollar for crappy made clothing.  I don't miss not fitting into plane seats comfortably or never riding roller coasters with my son.  I don't miss dodging pictures and family photos.  I don't miss always wearing comfortable flat shoes because high heels were out.  I don't miss my thighs rubbing together and not being able to cross my legs.  I don't miss dreading plastic picnic chairs, seats with arms and theater seats.  

I don't miss being obese and that's why I don't miss "summertime foods" and "Christmas cookies" --

Again, I don't mean this snarky -- it really takes a lot of work and patience to deal with how we see food.  

:-)

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

(deactivated member)
on 6/14/15 6:12 am

I don't think you are being snarky. I don't miss not fitting in booths. Not being able to fly without a seatbelt extender. Just asking for one was so embarrassing. I do love that I can sit in a chair and see the chair not just my body hanging over the sides of it. 

I think what others posted about fruit is true. I know when I started eating fruit my weight loss slowed down. If you eat fruit I would eat ones that are on the low carb side for now. 

Marys1521
on 6/14/15 11:46 am

You really laid it out and put it all in perspective! I think I will make me a similiar list and pull it out when I need reminders! Thank you!

Most Active