Is anyone else like me......

diane48
on 6/13/15 12:35 pm
RNY on 05/07/13

I too have lapsed into old habits and gained 10 pounds lately.  I want to thank everyone in reminding what I need to do.  Not that I didn't know what to do, the basics.  What Rocky said really hit home.  CHOICE!  Yep,  so I choose to get back on track.  So I am back tracking and carb detoxing.  Thanks everyone. 

Kathyjs
on 6/14/15 11:14 am

I must be 'lucky' because I still can only eat very little and I can sure get sick if I make wrong choices. 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/14/15 6:13 pm - OH

What Rocky said.  The truth is that MOST people who have RNY can eat anything, or almost anything, once they get through the initial healing period.  The only way to get the weight off after the "honeymoon period", and the ONLY way to keep it off, is by making good food choices, and controlling portion sizes, the majority of the time.  

It still comes down to calories taken in vs calories expended. To lose more weight, you need to decrease the number of calories you take in.  If you are like many people, you may be eating larger portions than you think you are (it is very easy for portion sizes to creep up over time) and therefore taking in more calories than you think you are. Measuring your portions for a while and tracking know many calories and carbs you are eating (it is also very easy to allow too many carbs to creep in as the years pass) will likely show you where you need to make changes to drop your intake down.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

aidenswings
on 6/14/15 6:51 pm

Hi! I too have had regain issues and can eat just as I did preop. I had my gastric bypass in 2008 so 7 yrs ago. Ashamed to say I am 20 lbs away from my surgery weight! Initially lost 60 lbs then gained it back. Like you, I can eat whatever I want and ignore my body's reaction. I cannot process sugars well and if I simply have one cup of coffee but pit sugared creamer in it I am very tired. Pre op I had hypoglycemia and now even more so. I would eat a brownie and while others buzzed around with a sugar rush I would fall asleep. 

I find it inspiring that others have been able to use their inner voice stopping themselves from over eating and making good choices. I try the same I have good intentions but no follow through. Whether it is purely comfort or not being confident I fail. I haven't had good follow up. This Tuesday I go to see a Dr. For follow up. I hope they can help me make a plan. 

Most Active