Question

Rjoy
on 6/12/15 10:33 am

I usually keep to myself in my community, I take care of my grandchildren and go to work.  Last week I was approached by a friend and she told me I looked great and that she could tell I was losing weight.  I told her thank you and I really wanted to tell her about the surgery but I didn't.  I have told a few people, mostly relatives about the surgery but I'm not one to tell everyone my business, I'm usually very private regarding my personal life.  

I was wondering how all of you dealt with the situation?  Thanks! 

Kathyjs
on 6/12/15 10:56 am

When they compliment you , say. ' thank you '

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/12/15 10:59 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I like to use something like "thank you, I'm working really hard at getting healthier" as a response. If they ask and you want to share specifics you can, but you don't have to.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Janak47
on 6/12/15 11:24 am - SOUTH CHESTERFIELD, VA

I have been very open with people about my surgery - but I am also very open about most things that concern myself. 

But you do not have to tell anyone anything you do not want to tell them.  You did this for yourself.  If you feel like sharing it with someone fine - if you don't want to - then I wouldn't.

Your progress is great by the way :)

Jana (RNY date 5/6/2015 - HW: 267 SW:257 CW: 233 GW:145)

Racewalker48
on 6/12/15 3:22 pm
RNY on 02/17/14

When people pay me a compliment like that, I usually say "Thank You!" and keep it moving.  I don't volunteer information about my WLS.  If I am asked directly how I lost weight, I will tell them that I had surgery and keep it moving.

elma
on 6/17/15 3:39 pm - Tremonton, UT

If they ask how I did it I will tell them because that is the only way to get rid of the stigma of surgery being a terrible option. I remember sitting in a weigh****chers meeting and they spent the entire hour beating up on people that opted to have weight loss surgery and how dangerous it was and how many people died from it. I also tell them it is a tool not a solve everything. if you don't follow the lifestyle changes you will gain the weight back. Am I a perfect patient? NO; far from it. I am 6 years out from surgery and still not at goal, but I am still losing weight slowly. could I exercise more? you bet! could I drink water instead of 5-6 cups of coffee and 2 watered down flat dt Cokes a day? my husbands preaches about it everyday. have I ever sat down to a really good meal and known that last bite was going to make me completely miserable and taken 3 more? My daughter will tell you yes because she is on the other side of the table telling me to knock it off I know I am going to make my self sick. and guess what I cant even practice Bulimia because I have not been able to throw up since my surgery so I am miserable until I digest it. But I am proud of my weight loss, I am proud of the changes in my life, and if my story can help one person or make it less scary for one person then it is worth telling everyone that will listen.

Han Shot First
on 6/18/15 5:22 am - Flint, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

I totally agree with this.  I find that especially for people who have known me for a long time, they are very positive when I tell them I had surgery.  I was obese for over 20 years, and this surgery was one of the best things I have ever done.

If it's someone I don't know that well, my pat answer is, "I had surgery to help me, and now I eat healthy and go to the gym."  

--

150 lost and maintaining!

Most Active