Dealing with Regain

ckristin8
on 6/10/15 11:38 am - Oneonta , NY
RNY on 11/20/12

I am 2 years post op RNY and at my last check up with my surgeons office I learned that I had regained 30 lbs!! I have started a program called Insanity Max:30 and I am on my 2nd week-3rd day of the 60 day program. So far I have lost 4.9 lbs. Are any of you dealing with regain and what are you doing to take charge of your pouch/lifestyle ?

SkinnyScientist
on 6/10/15 1:18 pm

Regain makes me nervous.  I fear it!

I dont know about Insanity max 30, but several of my non-RNY friends do the insanity series. They think the ones on DVD are actually harder than the insanity classes our gym holds.

At any rate, Insanity IS a workout.

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

ckristin8
on 6/11/15 6:55 am - Oneonta , NY
RNY on 11/20/12

I never worried about regain, thought I had it under control.... so naive! I am handling it thought =) I still have my "tool" it works the same as it always has, just need to get tougher. 

Laura in Texas
on 6/10/15 1:39 pm

30 pounds could not have been a surprise. This is why at almost 7 years out I still weigh a few times a week.

Track your food, measure your portions. Exercise is great, but it is all about how much food you eat.

Good for you for getting back on track.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

ckristin8
on 6/11/15 7:02 am - Oneonta , NY
RNY on 11/20/12

Well to clarify, I originally surpassed my surgeons expectations, I was 267 lbs before my RNY and the surgeon said I would get down to 167 after. I passed that with a lowest weight of 143. That was 24 extra lbs than he originally stated. I currently weigh 173 so really I only gained 6 from what my surgeon predicted. I had a lot going on to gain the 30 lbs, kids, a job that has me sitting at a desk all day, going to college. Those are excuses and I have made up for them now. I stopped weighing myself when I passed my surgeons goal weight. I was naive and thought I could be a "normal" person that only ate smaller portions. I exercised when I could, usually on weekends but that was sooo not enough. The truth is, we are not "normal" and never will be. I have to be very careful what I eat, how much, stay active etc... I got my head back on and I got this! =) I also have to avoid the slippery foods, that managed to creep into my diet! I don't eat junk food, cant tolerate sugar without dumping so avoid that. Its all about portions control and avoiding the crackly, slippery foods like yogurt and cheese, crackers (no matter how healthy they seem to be) etc..

Laura in Texas
on 6/11/15 8:06 am

I suggest you start weighing yourself regularly. I have maintained my 200 pound loss with only a 5 pound gain here or there that I fight like hell to lose until there are gone. We are never "cured".

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

ckristin8
on 6/11/15 8:35 am - Oneonta , NY
RNY on 11/20/12

I have started weighing myself every Monday at the end of the day after my workout. It has proven to be a huge part of my weight loss (coupled with my exercise program and ensuring my portions are within recommended RNY portions) I have also gone back to chewing 30 or so times, putting fork/spoon down between bites and continuing not to drink with my meals (always have avoided liquid with my meals). Basically getting back to the basics that I have veered from through time. Thank you, and your right we are never "cured". Your an inspiration!!

Tracy D.
on 6/11/15 9:15 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I have to weigh myself every day...or at least every other day.  Because by the time my clothes start getting a little too snug at least 10 lbs. have crept back on.  

With a 30 lbs. gain there's no way I would be wearing the same clothes unless it was yoga pants.  I would have had to buy all new jeans and dress pants.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

ckristin8
on 6/11/15 9:49 am - Oneonta , NY
RNY on 11/20/12

My pants still fit just fine, it is the way I carry my weight mostly in my upper torso but I do not dress like Fred Murtz and wear my pants up over my gut. I was starting to feel a little tighter in my pants but not enough to cause concern. I was attributing most of it to my excess skin. My surgeons office expressed no concern when I spoke to them, they said I may want to have a tummy tuck done. I also must add that I have a lot more muscle than ever before as well. The first year your losing fat, I was losing the fat then gaining the muscle. I am not saying that in 2 years I did not weigh myself. I just said that my follow up appointment they found me to have gained 30 lbs since my last visit. I am not a chronic weigh-er because my body fluctuates due to hormones etc.. any more than once a week and I will go stark mad and feel like a failure every time I stepped on and it was fluctuating up 5. I could step on the scale all day every hour and see a different number not to mention days I am on my menstrual I gain 5 at the least in water weight alone. I also wear a lot of skirts with elastic. No one could tell even my surgeon said they could not even tell aside from the scale that I had gained.  Even at my lowest weight my pants size depended on the brand I still range from size 10-12 pants as I did at my lowest. Have not had to change sizes in pants. I work in a courthouse and my dress attire consists of dressy clothes and most of them have elastic.

Roma
on 6/10/15 3:28 pm
RNY on 06/15/15

Sorry to hear of your regain but good for you for getting back to it!

I'm curious if you choose not to weigh yourself at home, and if so why not? Thanks! 

Referral: 8/14; Orientation TWH: 12/14; Nurse: 01/15; SW, Dietician, Psych: 2/15; Surgeon: 5/15; RNY: June 15/2015

Most Active