Giving Mason Jar Salads a whirl today

SkinnyScientist
on 6/8/15 12:41 am

So Groomy and I had some left over hard boiled eggs (from my skating trip) and cubed ham (from a quiche for him) left over. Since this is my group lesson night for skating, finding time for a quick healthier dinner takes some work the night before. 

I decided today it going to mason jar salads.

First-to the original author of the salad article- THANK YOU. Some have knocked the quantities/size of the ingredients listed for each salad. All I can say is: I think most of us are smart enough to figure out that we can reduce the amount of ingredients and jar size to accomodate our pouches.  I just want to acknowledge that the original author has done MORE (in terms of posting a recipe to keep it "fresh" while helping others in the "salad eating" catagory) than her critics.  Original author- thank you for your post!

Anyway, I packaged 3 salads. My salads from the bottom up are light balasamic vinegar dressing, capers (never met a caper I didnt like), left over cucumber coins, diced hard boiled egg, cubed ham, shredded gruyere cheese (it was left over), and lettuce.

The mason jar makes it so cute!

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/8/15 4:39 am

Passive-aggressive much....?

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

SkinnyScientist
on 6/8/15 4:50 am

Nope no need to be passive aggressive.

I am either directly aggressive or not.

People should appreciate the help that they get from others. If someone goes out of their way to write an article to "help you" say "Thank you" and take it, leave it, or tweak it. But don't complain about it.

I have just seen too many helpful people burn out because their efforts were not recognized or appreciated and criticized.

Then the criticism/whining from the critic become "How come she doesn't do ____ anymore?"

My favorite place to observe such behavior is church.

rocky513
on 6/7/15 10:10 pm, edited 6/7/15 10:13 pm - WI

I went back to read the original mason jar post to see if there was a lot of criticism.  I didn't see anyone being critical.  I saw someone reminding people that the portion size for that recipe would be too big, but the recipe could be sized down by making it in smaller jars.  This seems to be advice you took, because you said you bought the smaller jars.  So you must not have seen that as criticism.  I saw someone say they could eat that amount easily, and I saw someone post a joke with a picture of meat in a mason jar.  We all know he HATES veggies.  No critics.  

I think Hala meant that if you had a problem with a post, the appropriate place to address the issue is on the original post.  Bringing it up in a new post just to stir up trouble is not cool.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

SkinnyScientist
on 6/8/15 5:20 am

Then perhaps my interpretation was wrong. I saw it as criticism of the amounts...and all the responses to that as "chiming in"

My bad.

Clearly, the joke about the meat in the jar was lost on me too.

I stand corrected.

Grim_Traveller
on 6/8/15 5:19 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Meat in a jar is no laughing matter.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

rocky513
on 6/11/15 4:10 pm - WI
On June 8, 2015 at 5:20 AM Pacific Time, SkinnyScientist wrote:

Then perhaps my interpretation was wrong. I saw it as criticism of the amounts...and all the responses to that as "chiming in"

My bad.

Clearly, the joke about the meat in the jar was lost on me too.

I stand corrected.

for posterity

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/7/15 10:12 pm, edited 6/7/15 10:12 pm

So... Instead of addressing the issue in the eralier post, you brought that up in a brand new post? 

How it's that not passive-aggressive?.  

You could have posted info about the the salads...and leave it as is... That would be more supportive... 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

rocky513
on 6/11/15 4:09 pm - WI
On June 8, 2015 at 4:50 AM Pacific Time, SkinnyScientist wrote:

Nope no need to be passive aggressive.

I am either directly aggressive or not.

People should appreciate the help that they get from others. If someone goes out of their way to write an article to "help you" say "Thank you" and take it, leave it, or tweak it. But don't complain about it.

I have just seen too many helpful people burn out because their efforts were not recognized or appreciated and criticized.

Then the criticism/whining from the critic become "How come she doesn't do ____ anymore?"

My favorite place to observe such behavior is church.

for posterity

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/8/15 8:16 am
RNY on 08/05/19
On June 8, 2015 at 12:41 AM Pacific Time, SkinnyScientist wrote:

So Groomy and I had some left over hard boiled eggs (from my skating trip) and cubed ham (from a quiche for him) left over. Since this is my group lesson night for skating, finding time for a quick healthier dinner takes some work the night before. 

I decided today it going to mason jar salads.

First-to the original author of the salad article- THANK YOU. Some have knocked the quantities/size of the ingredients listed for each salad. All I can say is: I think most of us are smart enough to figure out that we can reduce the amount of ingredients and jar size to accomodate our pouches.  I just want to acknowledge that the original author has done MORE (in terms of posting a recipe to keep it "fresh" while helping others in the "salad eating" catagory) than her critics.  Original author- thank you for your post!

Anyway, I packaged 3 salads. My salads from the bottom up are light balasamic vinegar dressing, capers (never met a caper I didnt like), left over cucumber coins, diced hard boiled egg, cubed ham, shredded gruyere cheese (it was left over), and lettuce.

The mason jar makes it so cute!

Hi! Unnamed "critic" (who's done a fair bit of contribution to the board, I think?) chiming in here :)

From my time here on the boards, I've seen a LOT of newbies who have trouble adjusting to proper portions post-op. Not sure why it merits an entire paragraph in your post to say why pointing it out was (apparently) so awful.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Most Active