Did you choose RNY over the gastric sleeve? Why?

catwoman7
on 6/10/15 9:36 am
RNY on 06/03/15

I've been hanging out on this site for a couple of years but just had my surgery a week ago (RNY).   I was fine with either surgery (and so was my surgeon), but in the end I chose RNY because I already have mild GERD, and I did *not* want to risk it getting any worse.   The chance of nutrient deficiency is a big concern for me, so I've spent a lot of time here and on other sites researching vitamin brands that people find effective.  I know in spite of my best efforts I may have some deficiencies down the road *anyway*, but I'm doing everything under my control to try to prevent that.

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

catwoman7
on 6/10/15 9:40 am
RNY on 06/03/15

P.S.   I should have said "supplements" rather than "vitamins" as I've also spent a lot of time researching protein, calcium citrate, etc

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

Sarah M.
on 6/10/15 10:11 am

I had the choice between sleeve and RNY and I chose RNY. I have high blood pressure and had post partum cardiomyopathy. I was still on a lot of medication for the chf. My surgeon said either one would work but that I would find more positive medical outcomes quicker with RNY. He was right. I am a little less than 2 months out and I am already off several medications and lower doses on the rest.

Personally I also told the surgeon I wanted an option that was not easy to cheat on and he said that given my medical history and what I know about myself-he would definitely recommend RNY.

The only thing I regret about my decision is waiting so long to do it.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 6/10/15 11:14 am
RNY on 12/31/13

My choices were between the RNY, VSG and the DS.  The DS was out for me for financial reasons.  My insurance wouldn't cover it and I simply couldn't afford it.  Both the RNY and VSG are excellent surgical tools -- and truthfully, their success rates are very similar once you are a few years out.  There were three things that swayed me to the RNY -- first, I didn't use a lot of NSAIDs.  This is a big deal if you are going with the RNY because they are forever contraindicated.  Apparently, they are discouraged with the VSG, too -- but with the RNY they really are dangerous.  Secondly, I was an insulin dependent diabetic.  A lot of people DO go into remission with the VSG, but the RNY and DS have higher numbers.  That was a main decision maker.  Third, I already had some minor reflux issues.  This isn't a good combo with someone getting an VSG.  The final factor is that my doctor at the Clinic does all three surgeries -- and admits that the VSG is both easier and more cost-effective for him -- yet he still recommended the DS or RNY for me.  While I wouldn't let a surgeon decide what happens to my body, his advice certainly tipped the scale in the RNY's favor.

I am only 17 months out, but I have not had any complications thus far.  In fact, I credit the RNY to giving me back my life, putting my diabetes into remission and well, saving my life.  I have absolutely NO regrets whatsoever.  I was definitely a heavy weight (344 lbs/57 BMI) and now am weight typical (148/24.99 BMI) -- I am meticulous about taking my supplements (for the rest of my life) and following my plan. I believe that I would have been successful with any of the three surgeries because I made the choice to change my relationship with food and work my plan.

Be wary of anyone who puts down other surgeries.  They aren't miracle cures but tools to help you "cure" yourself.  Pick the one that fits you, your needs and personality best -- and success will surely follow.  You will find successes in all three categories.

Good luck!

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

(deactivated member)
on 6/10/15 6:48 pm
RNY on 05/04/15

I had my heart set on the sleeve for 3 years before my surgeon said RNY would be a better option given my severe GERD. I don't know if it's resolved, but it certainly isn't any worse, and my husband who had sleeve 2 weeks after my RNY has now developed GERD. Not a deal-breaker for either of us, and we're having very similar, fairly easy recoveries. He's losing a LOT faster than I am, but he has a lot more to lose (starting BMI 51 to my 36).

When it comes down to it, surgery is a tool. One may be shovel and one may be a spade, but they're both much more effective than digging a hole with your fingers.

Amy H.
on 6/11/15 5:03 pm - Raleigh, NC
RNY on 06/08/15

I originally wanted the sleeve because rny seemed scary with all the routing and side effects. However since I have history of acid reflux/gerd, I had to have rny. The sleeve can make reflux 10 times worse. However I am happy with getting rny, especially to be able to get out my band. From what I know, you loose faster with rny, but over time rny and sleeve loss is pretty comparable. Guessing your doctor doesn't do SIPS yet? It's a sleeve/DDS combination.

Amy

banded 12/2006, slip revision 7/2013, revision to rny 6/8/2015

VintageChick
on 6/13/15 3:33 pm

Reflux. 

Two surgeon opinions. Different practices, different cities in fact, recommended RNY for me. I would've preferred VSG but RNY has solved my reflux problem. I have friends with VSG who must take proton pump inhibitors and other meds for the GERD they developed post-op. I figured if I were going to be on meds anyway, it might as well just be vitamins and minerals rather than adding acid reducers (and their side effects) into the mix.

Good luck determining what's right for you. Pros and cons of both but at least we do have opportunity to choose what we think is best for ourselves. 

lap RNY 5-15-13

Most Active