120 Days Today - Am I Safe Yet???

Sheri R.
on 6/9/15 3:30 pm - Aberdeen, WA

I so afraid of the hair loss (always has been right around month 4 for me) that I started biotin supplementation last year.  I also use Rogaine.  I had my first surgery in December (Lap Band removal) and RNY in April.  I figure I am out of the woods for surgery #1 (very minimal hair loss!) but I am still worried about what will happen after the second surgery!  I feel your pain.  I have thin, fine hair, too.  :(  I do know that it will grow back and if you add a good skin, hair and nail vitamin maybe you can stave off some of what you might have lost, or at least add new growth before the shedding begins. 

seattledeb
on 6/10/15 1:00 am

Also any time you have general anesethesia you should expect some hair loss about 3 months post surgery. Surgery is trauma to your hair but it grows back. I've lost it 3 times since RnY surgery and every time it grew back.

Deb T.

SkinnyScientist
on 6/10/15 4:47 am

My experience has been...it is STILL falling out and I am 1.5 years post op.

Alternatively, it could be the summer shed

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

HFA70
on 6/10/15 6:42 am

Me too!  I'm 20 months out and I still lose hair at an alarming rate.

However, up to 15 months was the worst!

I have found that getting all my protein and iron in daily helps tremendously.

Kathyjs
on 6/10/15 5:03 am

For me !!!! I had long hair I now know to draw attention away from my fat body. Ever notice morbidly obese people many times have long hair. Well mine started to thin about month 3so I did something really scary. I cut it so short I can just wash and wear. I love it 

White Dove
on 6/10/15 5:48 am - Warren, OH

At two years out of surgery my hair was still thinning.  The top was pretty much see through and I did not leave the house without Toppix powder.  I asked Jessica, my stylist about adding a hair piece.  She told me to buy Nioxin shampoo System 4.  I thought it was expensive and a waste of money.

Six weeks later at my next appointment my hair looked even thinner.  The next day Jessica showed up at my house with a gift bag containing Nioxin shampoo, conditioner and scalp treatment.  She told me to use and see what happened.  Six weeks later my hair was much improved and I was convinced that Nioxin was a good thing for me.

It took about six months for my hair to be back to the same texture on top as the sides.  It has not thinned again.  I did switch to WEN a few years ago because Nioxin fades out my hair color quickly.  Nioxin gets your hair and scalp super clean and that does fade out chemical colors.  While I was using Nioxin Jessica tinted my hair a darker color than my usual color.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Most Active