Back to work

ahlthrmom
on 6/8/15 4:26 pm
RNY on 05/26/15 with

Today was my first day back to work. I will be 2 weeks post op tomorrow. I have mostly a desk job and noticed a lot of left side pain. I had to get up and walk around about every 30-45mins, but was so uncomfortable after 5 hours of work that I had to leave. Now, just breathing deep causes this side pain. Has anyone else experienced this? Not sure if I need to take more time off work or modify my schedule. I don't want to mess anything up by pushing myself too much. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

cspotrun
on 6/8/15 4:51 pm
RNY on 07/01/14

It would've been hard for me to go back at 2 weeks.  I went back at 3 weeks and was utterly exhausted at the end of each day.  I have a desk job.  Can you do half days for a bit?

Karen   

Janak47
on 6/8/15 5:36 pm - SOUTH CHESTERFIELD, VA

I am 4 1/2 weeks out and I still have some left side pain, no as bad as in the beginning but I still get it.  The left side is where most of the work is done during surgery.  

I was out of work for 2 1/2 weeks before I went back.  I worked from home 3 days the first week and went into the office the next week. I guess I was lucky that working from home was an option.

Take it easy - call your surgeon and see what they recommend as far as work goes. As someone else said - maybe you could work half days for a week or so.

Jana (RNY date 5/6/2015 - HW: 267 SW:257 CW: 233 GW:145)

cheapskate
on 6/8/15 8:41 pm
RNY on 03/30/15

I went back at 2 weeks with a doctor's note to allow me to walk 5minutes every hour. I didnt have any trouble with side pain or anything like that. I do have a desk job.

lynnc99
on 6/8/15 10:08 pm

Some of the "deep" work of the surgery is done on the left side, so the pain there persists longer. I remember literally catching my breath when it would hit at 6-8 weeks out. So the pain itself is normal. It may be compounded with gas buildup if you sit too long. Try a walk or a few gentle standing stretches every hour. 

You're still healing, there's no doubt about it. Listen to your body and keep your options open. You will be more tired than normal and need to pay close attention to what you need to be good to yourself. 

Doingrightin2015
on 6/9/15 1:52 am
RNY on 03/10/15

I went back to work a day before my 2 weeks also. I work from home. I stayed in and done all desk work that first week back and then my second week I traveled two days and worked from my desk at home 3 days. I was tired more the first few weeks. I too had that pain you described but mine was over a weekend. It felt like something was pinching me on the left side. My doctor said as long as the pain didn't come and stay it was to be expected. I am a lucky one that my office is in my house and I don't have to go into my place of employment....however I am at my desk the days I don't travel 8+ hours a day. Being at home, I was able to get up an move as I wished.

Doingitright2015

HW in life 282 HW265 at start SW 244 CW170

ahlthrmom
on 6/9/15 5:07 am
RNY on 05/26/15 with

Thanks everyone! I think I am going to reduce my hours this week and walk every hour. Pain is still bad this morning. If it continues I will give my doc a call. Thanks for the reassurance that I'm not just a big baby. :)

Most Active