Dr Dropped Me

(deactivated member)
on 6/5/15 11:13 am

My bariactric surgeon removed my gallbladder on 5/6/15. I had horrid anxiety due to pain meds and discomfort, so I stopped the pain mefd and went back on the klonopin and wss fine. I asked the doc about how to better prevent it for my vsg in July and he responded today stating he wouldnt perform the surgery.  He said the prrssure in my chest would trigger me and there was no way to avoid using pain meds. Im 1 week away from my last nut appt  from this 4 month long journey and everything was gold. Im so upset right now. Somebody with an anxiety disorder mustve had this surgery before. Please tell me your experience. Im so upset right now.

AmyDee123
on 6/5/15 11:36 am - Lutz, FL
RNY on 06/12/15

Continue your nutrition appts and what the insurance will require and find another doc.  

LapBand Weight 460 (2006) | Panni Removal Weight 200 (2008) | 3rd kid (2009)
Revision to RNY Weight 355 (June 2015)

(deactivated member)
on 6/5/15 11:38 am

Im sorry i didnt mean to post this in the wrong section

nhowe61
on 6/6/15 5:49 am

I have anxiety and take medicine and my Dr knew this going into the surgery he has been great. After the surgery i have found i dont take as much and have been able to better control my anxiety with exercise. Find another doctor they are out there! Dont get discouraged this is not the end its just the beginning of finding a better doctor. Good luck!

SkinnyScientist
on 6/6/15 3:22 pm

I try to control mine with meditation and exercise as well.

Yet, some vets have noticed and complained that I "worry too much."

Ya, think?

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

NHPOD9
on 6/6/15 11:30 am

I wonder if your doctor dropped you, not because you have anxiety, but because you disregarded orders without consulting anyone. Surgeons want patients that will comply with instructions. Determining your own postoperative plan could lead to serious complications. Physicians like to avoid those scenarios...

~Jen
RNY, 8/1/2011
HW: 348          SW: 306          CW:-fighting regain
    GW: 140

He who endures, conquers. ~Persius

(deactivated member)
on 6/7/15 8:36 pm

I completely complied. Changing meds was after I consulted him and was 3 days post op when the worst of the pain had subsided. Please see my last response to this thread. 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/6/15 2:37 pm - OH

People with anxiety disorders have WLS all the time, so I am inclined to agree with the previous poster about you not discussing the post-op situation and the meds with him (assuming that you didn't since you didn't mention it).  I am not sure why he cares how long you atke the pain meds, though.  Many people discontinue the, pretty quickly after surgery because they simply don't need them.

I would get an appointment to go in to talk to him. Find out what his specific concern is.  Surely, there is some way to work it out.  If not, as a previous poster said, I would seek out another surgeon.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

(deactivated member)
on 6/7/15 8:37 pm

I completely complied. Changing meds was after I consulted him and was 3 days post op when the worst of the pain had subsided. Please see my last response to this thread. 

Kathyjs
on 6/7/15 9:39 am

I am seriously the worlds worst patient. I suffer from panic attacks and after every surgery I freak!!! The meds and anesthesia do a number on me. Talk to dr or find new one. Do not give up!! What worked for my knee replacement was my son never left my side for a minute. Ate, slept in same room. I wish you all the best

Most Active