RNY June 10, 2015. Any advice you would have liked to have gotten before surgery?

NoelWeibel
on 6/4/15 8:31 am - Yuba City, CA

You were only in overnight? I have surgery Wednesday morning and am being discharged Friday afternoon. Is this normal?

Corrie33
on 6/4/15 3:59 pm
RNY on 02/09/15

The normal stay at the bariatric center I went to was 3 nights, 4 days.  

I packed a giant suitcase, never opened it once.  Never used my laptop, read my books, used my own pj's or robe, or used any of the simple make-up or hair products I packed.  (What an idiot!)

The one thing I did bring that I used every day:  My own fluffy, warm, soft blankie.  Hospital blankets suck.

GOAL REACHED! 170 lbs lost...

RNY: 2/9/15 (age 52), Ht-5'9" HW=304, SW=292, GW=155, LW=134, CW=147

Mo.1 -29lbs Mo.2 -18lbs Mo.3 -13lbs Mo.4 -11lbs Mo.5 - 14lbs Mo.6 - 10lbs Mo. 7 -11lbs Mo. 8 -9.4lbs

sor09
on 7/7/15 7:29 pm

Hello: wow wasn't sure I was getting a reply, but thank you. By now you know personally, each person responds a little and or a lot different to the surgery. Mine was a dream, and yup they sent me home the next day. I wanted to stay longer because it was my vacation away from home. I hope all things are going well for you and you have adjusted to post-op life well. Best wishes for more victories!

selhard
on 6/4/15 4:12 am, edited 6/4/15 4:21 am - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

Good things I wished I had known:  how easy the honeymoon period is physically, how simple WLS healing felt afterwards, how little pain WLS was compared to other surgeries, how eternally grateful I could feel, how strong my desire to pay it forward is, how healthy lifestyle changes would rub off on family

Bad things I wished I had known:  how hard the honeymoon period is mentally, how emotions can be all over the place, how awful constipation episodes can get, how difficult it can be to stay on track, how strong the fear of regain remains, how I can't pinpoint why my super moribdly obese, self-destructive past continued for so effing long

karin602
on 6/7/15 3:01 pm - MD
RNY on 07/30/13

Not to compare or expect weight loss to be as fast as other's. You will lose at your own pace. But however you lose, fast or slow, it does work if you are committed to the process. 

Karin

Most Active