RNY June 10, 2015. Any advice you would have liked to have gotten before surgery?

Anne C.
on 6/3/15 5:22 pm
RNY on 11/24/14 with

Bring chapstick to the hospital.

NoelWeibel
on 6/4/15 8:19 am - Yuba City, CA

Thanks. That's a must. I'm a chap stick fiend all day already lol

lcraver
on 6/4/15 10:04 am - Knightdale, NC
RNY on 03/02/15

That 1st day after surgery is bad because they won't let you drink anything or have any ice chips at all. I had one nurse who was conscientious about making sure that I had the mouth moisturizer swabs but the other shifts would only get them for me if I begged. Keep that in mind. 

Highest weight - 440 lbs, Surgery weight - 395 lbs, Current weight - 291 lbs.

RazorbackSusan
on 6/3/15 6:03 pm

I'm only two weeks out now.  I read over and over about people having a 'what have I done' feeling for a while, but just didn't believe it would happen to me. I was so excited to have the surgery, but it has been a rougher road than I expected. I'm losing weight and glad, but getting used to not just eating what I want when I want has been an adjustment. 

NoelWeibel
on 6/4/15 8:21 am - Yuba City, CA

Thanks. I'm sure it's going to be a huge adjustment for me. I'm an emotional eater not so much for hunger. This is going to be very hard for me so I'm getting a therapist for after surgery.

killinmesmalls77
on 6/3/15 6:50 pm - MN
RNY on 05/07/15

Definitely bring chapstick like the other poster said. Comfy clothes to go home in. I brought my knitting and was able to do a little bit of that, but not too much. I never made it to reading the books on my tablet. I also brought some body wipes. Because I wasn't allowed to take a shower until the day I went home, they were nice for a quick refresh before I had visitors. 

Have everything ready at home beforehand as far as food goes. That way when you are home, you don't have to think about what you are going to make. 

I am four weeks out and in more pain now than the first two weeks after my surgery. Don't throw away any pain meds they send you home with. :) 

I came home on a Saturday and by Sunday afternoon, I had the "what have I done" thoughts. I didn't regret the surgery, but it was just the reality had set in that life will never be the same. And logically, I know that life will be better once the weight starts coming off, but for that afternoon it was just a shock to my system. 

This site has been a huge blessing. Stay plugged into it. Even if I don't post much, reading through other people's success stories or questions has been a help. 

Best wishes on your surgery! Keep us posted on how you are doing. 

HW: 276 SW: 254.1 GW: 125 CW: 154.5

NoelWeibel
on 6/4/15 8:25 am - Yuba City, CA

From other stays in the hospital I know I never feel like doing much other then sleeping and walking. I do have a question ....am I supposed to bring my protein shake powder with me for the ride home or are we just on clear fluids still?? What food did you have on hand for when you got home??? I'm very worried about the pain. My gall bladder surgery was horrible but my double hernia repair was not so bad. So I don't know what to expect. I love this site and all the people I definitely will stay on here and post progress. Thanks.

Grim_Traveller
on 6/3/15 6:58 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

I wish someone had told me to invest in a new company named Google.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Chilipepper
on 6/3/15 6:59 pm

Benefiber. 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

NoelWeibel
on 6/4/15 8:27 am - Yuba City, CA

I already take that so that's ok to continue. I'm also using Splenda with Fiber. I've heard about bad constipation, but what if I have diarrhea several times a day now. Will it change??? Sorry for the crudeness. I've been worried about that.

Most Active