Diarrhea for the past 26 hours now... Help?

Mardi_2015
on 6/2/15 7:22 pm, edited 6/2/15 7:24 pm

My first post is from my potty! Lovely! Anyway I'm new to this world and so here goes. I have RNY on May 18, 2015.  I had a JP drain for a week! Horrible! It's gone now, back pains to THE MAX right after the JP drain was removed, the kind that I'm on Ice packs 24/7 because that's all that helped me be able to survive!! So I've been on puréed foods for a week now. And hadn't had any problems with the foods. Or so I though!!! Literally 26 hours ago. I ate 3/4 cup of cream of chicken soup (made with water only) within 60min after I ate it I had diarrhea really bad, for about an hour. And then it continued through the night, until this morning. Slower a bit today and it's been back for the past 3 hours now!! I have called the doctor. (Talked to the MA) she advised me to take over the counter anti diarrhea medicine. I have been doing that all day! But still. I have this...... All I have had in the last 27hours is water! Any advise or help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

Thank you!!!

Poodlemac
on 6/2/15 9:17 pm
RNY on 09/26/14

I'm sorry. That has to be miserable. I have no wisdom to offer in this situation, but I hope you feel better very soon. Maybe take 2 Imodium because of the malabsorption?

Mardi_2015
on 6/3/15 6:39 pm

Thank you so much for your well wishes. I am seeing my doctor tomorrow.. So we will see! Its good to find this Obsity Help site an I can see that I will use it, read for help and support! 

Thanks!

rocky513
on 6/3/15 5:18 am - WI

Are you using protein shakes?  You might have developed lactose intolerance.  Check your protein label.  If it contains whey concentrate it has lactose in it.  Whey isolate is 99% lactose free.  Some proteins mix both whey isolate and concentrate together.  Look for a protein that has whey isolate only.  They usually will have 99% lactose free on the front of the packaging.  The cream of chicken soup might have dairy products in it too.  There are some who actually can't take any whey products, but there are egg based proteins available.  Jay Robb has one that is pretty popular around here.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Mardi_2015
on 6/3/15 7:28 pm

OMG! Thank you so very much for that information!! I will check into those things. I'm not sure if I have a bacteria or if I'm now lactose intolerant. We shall see.. Thank you again! 

Grim_Traveller
on 6/3/15 6:50 am
RNY on 08/21/12

I'd stay away from cream of chicken soup, for sure.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Mardi_2015
on 6/3/15 7:28 pm

For sure!

Chilipepper
on 6/3/15 7:01 pm

You are probably dehydrated by now. Start drinking some Powerade zero and ask your doctor if you can take a little Immodium. 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

Mardi_2015
on 6/3/15 7:37 pm

Hi! Does Powerade Zero have sugar? YEs, I went to the ER last night and needed hydration! Going to follow up with doctor tomorrow. last night once I was at the ER I couldn't give them a "sample" SO frustrating! Yet, when I got home... of course it continues!

Chilipepper
on 6/3/15 8:14 pm

No sugar in it. It will help keep you from dehydrating. I would call the off hours number and ask about Imodium. 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

Most Active