8 Months Out of RNY Question?

Frank P.
on 6/2/15 6:40 am - Aylesford, Canada

Hi, just wondering how people are eating at this stage. Myself I can eat just about anything and in bigger portions than I think I should be able to...anyone else feel this way??   I am still losing...I had a stall for a month then lost 6 pounds in 2 weeks...  I have heard people talk about a 'Pouch Test"??   What is that exactly, and how would I go about doing it if possible?  Thanks!!  

selhard
on 6/2/15 12:25 am, edited 6/2/15 12:59 am - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

Warning, some may read into your comments as though it sends up little red flags.   Please correct me if I'm wrong but what I think you are trying to convey is you were expecting more benefit from WLS than you are experiencing?  If yes, now is the time to accept you may have to count on new lifestyle changes to be stronger than your post-WLS ability to "eat just about anything and in bigger portions."  How?  By following the WLS guidelines, staying the course, and making the most of your honeymoon period while you can.

Laura in Texas
on 6/2/15 8:05 am

Just because you CAN eat larger portions does not mean you SHOULD. You should be measuring your portions. I am sure your surgeon or NUT gave you guidelines. I recommend you follow them. At this point, your surgery is doing all the work. You can chose not to follow the rules and can still lose weight. That will not be the case in the future.

I will warn you, at almost 7 years out I can also eat a very large meal, but I make the choice not to on a daily basis. That is the only way I have maintained my weight loss. If I ate a much as I can, I would be obese again.

Good luck.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

The Salty Hag
on 6/2/15 9:10 am
RNY on 05/20/13

Forget the pouch test. It shouldn't even be a thing, honestly. If you think you stretched your stoma and that is why your portion sizes increased, go see your surgeon and talk to them about it. 

For suggestions on what at all stages are eating...read the menu threads found on this forum. There are a lot of them as it's a daily thread.

What was I eating at 8 months post op? Either 1/2 cup of protein only or 1/4 cup lean protein and 1/4 cup non starchy veggies for my meals and 1 oz of cheese or 1 cheese stick rolled in two slices of deli lunch meat for snacks, with 1 oz of pistachios or almonds for a crunch factor. I also ate ( and still eat ) a container of Dannon Light and Fit Greek yogurt most mornings for breakfast or I have 1 scrambled egg with 1 slice of bacon ( bacon makes everything better!! ) , or 1/2 cup of scrambled eggs. 

Laura speaks the truth; she is one of the vets *****ally knows what she's talking about. She's a fabulous role model, so heed her advice. At 8 months, you are still experiencing the benefit of malabsorption. You can eat pretty much anything and still lose weight. Once the malabsorption stops, **** gets REAL very quickly. 

I'm two years out. My malabsorption stopped a few months ago. I had hit goal, and I stayed on plan for 21 months. I let some processed carby foods back into my diet a few months ago and am paying the price now. Like a dumb-ass, I thought I could handle it. Nope! I got too big for my britches, almost literally. I luckily snapped out of my insanity before I actually outgrew my cute new clothes and am back on track. I'm back to eating how I ate at 8 months out, and I'm feeling MUCH better, both emotionally and physically. 

One last thing...make sure you aren't drinking with your meals..that will definitely make you able to eat larger portions!!! 

SkinnyScientist
on 6/2/15 9:15 am

I let some processed carby foods back into my diet a few months ago and am paying the price now..

-This happened to me once too!  I gained something like 5-8 lbs in a week and it took me 3 weeks to lose it (i.e. 3 times longer to lose than the time it took to gain).

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

HFA70
on 6/2/15 3:40 pm

The only way you will have long term success is following your surgeon's plan.  Weigh and measure for a while to keep yourself honest.  People who test their pouch regret it almost all of the time.  

Most Active