Blue Nails

Triksy
on 5/29/15 3:13 pm
RNY on 05/20/15

Ok so I'm a week and a half post op RNY and doing pretty well overall. Im meeting my protein and water requirements and taking my vitamins. But I noticed a few hours ago that my nails are a blueish color from the base about halfway to the tip. My fingers arent overly cold and that's all google really had to offer. Does anyone know what is causing this? Has anyone experienced this? Should I be concerned?

HW- 380     SW-350     CW-358

jenorama
on 5/29/15 5:04 pm - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

If you're not overly cold, it could be a sign of low oxygenation.  You don't have a cold or anything going on with your upper respiratory right now? 

Jen

Triksy
on 5/29/15 10:08 am, edited 5/29/15 10:41 am
RNY on 05/20/15

No no cold, but I did figure it out. I was sitting here debating on going to the ER because my O2 level is the only thing I could think of it being, and just happened to see my Blood Sugar test kit sitting on the table. Decided I would check just to see and as it turns out my sugar was 55 which is apparently so low that it can cause your nails to turn blue among other really nasty things that thankfully didnt happen. I had my daughter get me a protein shake and within about half an hour they were back to normal. So all is good now. I'm going to leave this post here in case someone needs this info in the future. 

I was diabetic prior to surgery my surgeon told me at my last visit that my sugar was good and I wouldn't ever have to worry about it again. I guess he just meant I wouldn't have to worry about it being to high.

HW- 380     SW-350     CW-358

jenorama
on 5/29/15 5:24 pm - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

That is interesting!  Dr Google didn't say a thing about low blood sugar causing blue nails.  I've learned a thing today.  :D

Jen

Most Active