Exercise motivation - I have none!

mute
on 5/23/15 1:20 pm
RNY on 03/23/15

I need help with motivation on exercise. I just am not motivated in this area and can't seem to find a way to get moving.

I'm doing really well with the food part of things, I haven't cheated at all, I'm not feeling like I'm missing out really. On the days that I feel like I overdid it on food I go back and look at what I tracked for the day and see that my overdoing it is just an extra string cheese or along those lines. I'm weighing my food and doing very low carb, all of that.

But I am not doing barely any exercise. I don't find it easy to find the time or easy to do physically at all. And I know those are both excuses! 

I know the "honeymoon period" is important to develop the healthy lifestyle we need to get used to for the rest of our life so I know I need to get to the exercise part soon. At 333 I'm finding it very difficult - is it possible that it could be easier when I lose a little more weight?

How did you get motivated? How did you get past it being difficult to exercise because of your size?

Melinda

HW: 377 SW: 362 CW:131

TOTAL LOSS: 249 pounds

Maria27
on 5/23/15 1:52 pm - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

I am with you on the not being motivated part. I bought a Fit*****arge hr to motivate me. I just got it yesterday, but I already think it will help. Also, I agree that exercise is more difficult the heavier you are, and I believe that it will get easier. I know that I already feel that walking and moving is so much easier than when I was bigger. I move more than I used to without even trying, and I tend to have more energy. The Fitbit should really keep me on track though by keeping me honest. For me it works because I am a numbers and data driven person. I like looking at all the data that the Fitbit gives me and coming up with ways to improve my numbers. Another thing to keep in mind is that exercise gives you energy, so, for me at least, more exercise equals less sleep. That is one way I justify taking the time to exercise.

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

Scarlette B.
on 5/23/15 2:26 pm - TX
RNY on 03/20/14

I did simple weights and walked and walked and walked..... Kept it simple and as the weight came off it I did more :)

LilySlim Weight loss tickers  

lynnc99
on 5/23/15 3:09 pm

I started just a bit before my surgery, with water aerobics. I hit on a class with a great instructor and didn't worry about my weight there. After all, there were people coming to the pool with walkers! Surely I could show up!

i fell in love with water workouts. As they once told us, "you can do outrageous things in the water!" So true! I stuck with it a long time until I dared to try a studio jazzercise class. There, my first goal was, "Don't fall over." Not even "Finish the hour." Just don't fall over. And there, I found my skills growing, I loved the loud music, and I stuck with it.

the key is finding something you enjoy. If you go with a class, you can modify it lots to keep it at your level, and the instructor will help with suggestions. I still modify for my bad knees - no jumping!

many people walk, but that isn't the kick of motivation that clicks for me. Others love Zumba, but to me it's just so so. 

Land I'm not perfect by a mile. I've moved away from those classes I loved and had a hard time finding just the right thing...I've been better the last few weeks though and hope to keep the momentum! 

Gwen M.
on 5/23/15 3:12 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

I love your goal of "don't fall over!"  When I did my first 5k, my goal was "don't die."  :D  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

mute
on 5/23/15 3:42 pm
RNY on 03/23/15

I tried a class and it was a total disaster. Felt like an ass and wasn't for me and I know I shouldn't let that dissuade me but I'm having a hard time getting past that mentally. 

I really wish I could do water class but the Y only has them during the day and I work so there's no way I can go to those. I know I wouldn't be comfortable in a bathing suit but growing up I lived down the road from the local swimming pool and I was there 3 times a week during the summer and loved it.

The other classes they offer seem too advanced for me, the one I thought would be beginner enough was way over my head. The other ones are ones that just don't seem for me - no interest in spinning, zumba or cardio blast. I don't know if my Y is smaller than others which wouldn't surprise me because I live in a small town.

I've heard the key being find something you enjoy and I don't know that I enjoy any exercise lol. I need to find something that works for me and I just haven't been able to so far.

Melinda

CerealKiller Kat71
on 5/23/15 8:15 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

I'm with you.  I hate exercise too. I've been luckiest by "temptation bundling" -- which simply means coupling something I DO like with something I should do but don't like.  For example, for a while I only watched my favourite shows while walking on the treadmill,   I listened to my favourite podcasts only while walking my neighbourhood -- I only got a quest bar after a 30 minute weight lifting session. After awhile, I got a treadmill desk -- and walked while telecommuting from home -- I loved combining two things I don't really want to do and getting paid for it!  Lol. Lately I've been on a iBooks --and I look forward to listening to another chapter while I get in my walk/exercise. I know I'm never going to love exercise-- so this is my way to make it less miserable. 

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

mute
on 5/23/15 9:02 pm
RNY on 03/23/15

This is something along the lines I need to do to motivate me I think. And actually everything you mentioned I enjoy lol. Love audiobooks, podcasts and TV :)

We have one TV in our main living area so treadmill is out down there. We don't own a treadmill or elliptical and sold one 6 years ago when I wasn't using it but I know my husband wouldn't be opposed to buying one since he wants me to be successful. We do have a spare bedroom though and maybe I need to consider getting either an elliptical or treadmill for there. 

I have a y membership that I was using last year but the job I started last November made it more difficult to go. 

The other thing I was considering is an under the desk elliptical called the cubii. I work at a computer all day and it's something I wish I could try before I bought. 

I wish all of these things were cheaper but I know it's a good investment in my health obviously...

Melinda

CerealKiller Kat71
on 5/24/15 1:29 am
RNY on 12/31/13

If you are on Facebook, you should get on your local Facebook garage sale site -- omg, treadmills and elliptical should so cheaply on there!!!  I also have a sedentary aspect to my work -- the treadmill desk is awesome. Truthfully though, just going for a walk outside with your podcast or book is good enough. It doesn't have to be anything huge. 

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

lynnc99
on 5/25/15 12:13 pm

Oh yes, I remember you!

OK try this: get a DVD or two. Leslie Sansome Walk Away the Pounds can be amazingly effective. And it's private. You set your own goals and maybe the first goal is just SHOW UP. Turn it on. Put on shoes. 5 minutes. 

Next suggestion - don't laugh - is see if a Richard Simmons DVD is still available. If you can get past the fact that it's Richard....oh Lord those shorts!....he did a LOT over many years for people with significant weight to lose. And the music is good if you like the oldies stuff!

Don't pressure yourself at this point either. Go easy. You're learning a lot and doing a lot and making a lot of changes. Open the door to exercise without beating yourself up about it. This will come along.

Keep in touch so we know how you are doing. 

Most Active