Help with nerves please

Lily2
on 5/24/15 3:35 pm

I was only on them for 5 days but in that time my eyesight was effected, hence the checking for diabetes. A1C was 8.6.

cspotrun
on 5/24/15 1:28 pm
RNY on 07/01/14

Coming from someone who consistently got the comment that I wasn't big enough for surgery, it has been an amazing blessing. And I had no comorbities. Think of this...if you gain 10,20,30 pounds back (which is likely without surgery for all of us) then that diabetes will most definitely rear its ugly head again. RNY is preventative too. It was one of the main reasons I got it. Both my parents got diabetes and HBP in their 40s and I figured I was headed down that path if I didn't do something. Good luck!

Karen   

Lily2
on 5/24/15 3:42 pm

The same is said about me, which was another issue Ive dealt with during my last 6 months of getting prepared for this surgery.  Ive learned so much in a short time and I know without a doubt my issues with food will continue if I continue to do the same things.  Yoyo dieting.  Im to old now and i feel like Ive had enough of that fight, but I dont want to give up.  So here I am, still fighting but hopefully with a tool that will help me be successful this time.

Beverly H.
on 5/24/15 2:49 pm
VSG on 05/20/15

I just had the sleeve surgery because of most of the issues that you just raised. My him isn't that high but I'm almost 51 with diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol. After tons of research, talking to my PCP and Surgeon I made the best decision  for me. Like the surgeon told me, I know my body better than he knows my body. I hope that you are able to make the best decision for you and that you do great. 

Lily2
on 5/24/15 3:44 pm

Thank you Beverly

White Dove
on 5/24/15 4:20 pm - Warren, OH

Being in denial about the diabetes is very common when first diagnosed.  I went through several years of having normal readings and normal A1Cs and then one morning my reading was 220.  That continued for a week and I went to the doctor and he told me it was time to add medicine to my diet and exercise diabetes control.

After that every few years, the medicines would no longer work and more medicines would be added.  I should have listened to my doctor's advice to have RNY but I chose to add insulin instead.

Insulin added more weight and I finally have RNY but it was too late and my diabetes did not go into remission.  I am now normal weight, but still require medicines for diabetes.  The longer you wait the less chance you will go into remission.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Lily2
on 5/24/15 6:05 pm

There is a lesson for me in your words for sure!!.  Still frightened though of the surgery and a lifestyle change I KNOW I have to make

White Dove
on 5/24/15 9:22 pm - Warren, OH

I have never been hungry again after RNY surgery.  My surgeon severs the vagus nerve and tells me that is the reason I have no hunger.  Ask your surgeon about doing that.

With no hunger and very little capacity for eating the lifestyle changes were very easy.

I was 59 having surgery and am now 67.  This changed my life for the better.  I am so much happier now.  I love being a size 4 instead of size 20..  I have more energy and look and feel years younger than my age.  Being overweight is such a burden to bear.  Losing the weight and having a tool to keep it off is wonderful.

Lily2
on 5/25/15 6:57 am

Im not sure if he will sever that nerve if its not part of the "normal" routine of RNY but I will ask him on wednesday before I go into surgery which I think/hope he will come see me before going under.  I once asked him to perhaps remove my gallbladder since he was in there to prevent possible future surgery.  He told me we do not remove healthy organs just because they could possibly go south in the future.  Fingers crossed

White Dove
on 5/25/15 9:38 am - Warren, OH

I still have my gall bladder.  Some surgeons sever the vagus nerve and some do not.  There is no "normal" procedure, each surgeon does it their own way.  The freedom from hunger worked for me.  It may not be the same for everyone, but worth asking him about.

Most Active