A few questions from a yearling for the wise and experienced vets!

CerealKiller Kat71
on 5/26/15 8:18 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I am neither wise nor experienced -- but, at 5 foot and 126, your BMI is normal.  That's not too thin?? So I don't understand why your doctor sounded the alarm?  I guess from what I have read on here, the great majority of us will have some bounce back weight without any effort at all -- therefore, since you feel great and are of normal weight, I would carry on!

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Dartmouth
on 5/26/15 10:51 am - United Kingdom
RNY on 05/20/14

Dear Kat

Thanks for your support.  I think that is the direction I am heading!

Grim_Traveller
on 5/26/15 9:00 am
RNY on 08/21/12

I agree with the others that you are not too thin. Most of us find that we look a little gaunt for a while when we are close to goal weight, but in the next year or two things get redistributed. Even though I have weighed the same for two years, things have shifted around and I look better.

I had to add calories to stop losing, and my weight loss actually accelleratec for about three weeks while I was adding more food. It might be what you are experiencing. It didn't last long, it wasn't a whole lot, so I wouldn't worry about it.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Dartmouth
on 5/26/15 10:57 am - United Kingdom
RNY on 05/20/14

Dear Grim ( your are not really grim are you?)

i actually wondered if the weight loss could be in part due to my increase in calories.  ( weird world huh!) so I am glad that someone else has wondered that too. I also notice that my face changes shape almost daily. From gaunt to haggered to almost normal so I hope it takes the left overs from my tummy and puts them into my cheeks( as in face although the others could use a little bulk too!)

siberiancat
on 5/26/15 9:12 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN

I'm 6 years post RNY 5ft 1in tall and will be 66 years old June 8.  I journaled every bite for the first 2 years and then for a few months twice a year since then.  I stayed below goal at 118 pounds for the first 4 years and then gained to 124 (still at goal) since then.  

I did look gaunt and had lots of negative comments about being too thin but I ignored them.  After a few months my body lost that "gaunt" look and I still weighed the same.  Now I only get those comments from those people who haven't seen me in a few years.

I would not introduce white flour, white sugar (pasta, bread, cookies, cakes, etc.) and not alcohol.  Stay away from empty calories and things with high calories but little to no nutrition.  You need to eat to fuel your body and keep healthy.

There are healthy foods with nutrition/fuel that you could add - as mentioned nuts, nut butters, add protein powder or protein drinks for added calories.  You can add some healthy fats (I use organic) such as half and half, butter, greek yogurt (not fat reduced) or whole milk, avacados, coconut oil, etc. 

As others have mentioned you are in your BMI range and can still lose more and be in your BMI range.  I could weigh 98 pounds and be in the "normal" BMI range for my weight!! I try for 1100 calories a day and protein 80-100 grams, keeping carbs to about 80 grams (coming from veggies, fruit, and dairy - and one serving of dark chocolate a day.)

At 6 years out - I have to be vigilant to stay at goal and put protein first (always) then veggies & fruit.  For the first 4 years my weight stayed stable, now at 6 years I find I have to work to keep my weight from going above my goal.

Best wishes and try not to rush into anything but stay on your bariatric plan.

Penny

Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

Dartmouth
on 5/26/15 2:35 pm - United Kingdom
RNY on 05/20/14

Dear Penny

Thank you so much for replying...it is very helpful to have the perspective of someone who has very similar stats to mine and someone who has been so successful in keeping the weight off.  It really gives me hope that this is going to work long term....is it a struggle to eat as little as 1100 cals a day or is it a struggle to eat as many as 1100 cals a day?

Thanks again for your support and advice

joan

SkinnyScientist
on 5/31/15 9:03 am

I am in my second year post op.

I weigh the same (actually less) than I did at my wedding about 5 m onths ago.

5 months ago (and 5 lbs heavier) my mother was calling me a "hatchet face" (i.e. I looked gaunt).

Now, 5 lbs LIGHTER and 5 months later, my cheeks are already starting to fill in.  My waist is smaller but it is like the fat on my waist is "migrating" back to my cheeks.

Fear not.

Also, one nutritionist told me those weight tables are for "scrawny teenagers" while others think this is a healthy range.

I think you need to ask yourself: a) can I do EVERYTHING I want to do at this weight? and b) do I LIKE the way I look at this weight?"

If you answer "yes" lose a bit more for buffer against any rebound and then "hold".

If you want to be skinnier, keep going...

Provided you dont have a body image disorder, make yourself HAPPY, screw the doc.

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

Ladytazz
on 5/26/15 1:19 pm

You've gotten good advice.  What you are experiencing isn't unusual the first year.  I too got way too low, to the point where complete strangers would stare and ask me what was wrong with me.

Some old friends thought I had cancer and asked me.  

Having already failed one WLS previously I decided that I would not get back into bad eating just because I was too thin.

I did add some calories, mainly protein, and continued to avoid refined carbs (still do).

For the first 2 or 3 years my weight was very stead and in the last few  years it has been creeping up, not to a bad level but where I am having to evaluate my eating and make some changes.  All normal from what I've seen.

Just continue doing what you are doing and it will all come together eventually.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Dartmouth
on 5/26/15 2:39 pm - United Kingdom
RNY on 05/20/14

Thank you Lady Tazz

I find it really is hard to look at myself objectively and I really have learned allot from these responses.  I guess I am realising this is yet another journey I am embarking on!

Thanks again

joan

aesposito
on 5/27/15 7:20 am

Joan,

Do you feel good?  Are your tests good?  Are you enjoying life?  Other than looking "too thin", does your doctor have concerns about your health?

If the answers are yes, yes, yes and no, don't change a thing.  You'll have a bit of bounceback in a year or two, and that will give you a nice cushion.

I started losing again after I thought I had settled nicely in the 150/160 range.  I looked a bit gaunt in the 140's, but I really appreciated it when I bounced back up into the 150's a year later.  I never found out why I started losing again, but it didn't really matter because I was healthy and happy.

Audrey

Highest weight: 340
Surgery weight: 313
Surgery date: 10/24/11
Current weight 170... 170 pounds lost!!!!

I am not a doctor, but I play one at work.

Most Active