Has anyone with RNY here been EXTREMELY burpy (like painfully) very occasionally (no food...

mystimel
on 5/20/15 11:57 am - Long Beach, CA

I saw a gastro doc about this issue when it first started happening a year or so after my surgery. I sometimes will get so burpy and bloated I am in pain and can't even stand up straight. I burp and burp as much as possible but it can go on for hours with little relief and the gas just builds. There doesn't seem to be any link to a particular food. I had a negative experience with the first gastro doc I saw, who told me to "just try not to burp so much" and gave me a pill that didn't help and told me my endoscopy showed little to nothing that'd cause it. I just gave up and dealt with it for a while. I had a couple more extreme episodes recently so I decided to try a different doc. He said it could be Celiac, IBS, or SBBOS and I'm getting tested for all three. Has anyone else with RNY had this issue? What did it end up being. BTW there are also other times I get very very burpy but I don't get painfully so. That happens more often than the painful episodes. Even those times though, I'm much more burpy than my mom is who has also had RNY a year before me. (she can still get more burpy than a norm person) Any insight would be great! Thanks in advance!

SW:230 CW:159 GW:135

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/20/15 2:26 pm

I deal with SIBO. Most likely.  Testing is really difficult. And not conclusive. 

I have IBS-C and when I get really constipated (full o it ) - the gas just has no way to go down - so it goes up.

Sibo diet is very restrictive. But doable.

I don't have gluten allergies- but I do have gluten intolerance.  Plus some food allergies. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Ashley in Belgium
on 5/21/15 2:46 am - Belgium
RNY on 08/08/13

Oh my yes!  I have had some real doozies of burning episodes - bloating so bad I look 6 months pregnant, can't stand up right, and burn huge horrendous continuous burps. The longest episode lasted 8 hours.  But most of them lasted between 4-6 hours.  There seems to be no correlation between the food I eat and the episode.  

My gastro doc and WLS felt it was related to an internal hernia that I had repaired in March.  I haven't had an episode since then, but it hasn't been very long :/

I was a HUGE burper before I had my gallbladder removed in 1995.  These burps I've had post-op revision are similar.  Coming from deep in the belly.  I can only sympathise, as I am not much help.  But i do know exactly what you are talking about.  Hope they find out the cause and that you come back and share!  Hang in there - it's not pleasant.

Revision Band to RNY 8/8/13 5'4" HW 252 Lbs / SW 236 Lb / GW 135 lb / CW 127

mystimel
on 5/22/15 9:37 am - Long Beach, CA

I doubt I have a hernia, no other pain but I guess it is possible. I hope they find something out with these tests. It may be rare that it is painful but it's annoying when it happens and I'm still more burpy than I should be lots of other times. :P I remember one time I had to leave a party cause I was too bloated and when someone asked my boyfriend why we were leaving he told them I was too gassy lol... Idiot... I'm like  "umm burpy is not as bad as saying gassy!" the host probably thought I was stinking up the place with farts x.x

SW:230 CW:159 GW:135

Most Active