Updates Surgery on May 5th. Did not go as planned.

sue P.
on 5/19/15 9:24 am
RNY on 05/05/15

Hello everyone. I want to share my experience. I had my RNY on May 5. I had major complications and ended up in ICU on ventilator but I am doing great now and feel good. This post is not be negative but to share my experience only. 

I want to be clear the complications came from a previous surgery I had for a hernia. The doctor said the mesh from the hernia was enormous and my intestines/bowels were attached to the mesh. I was forewarned going into this that the doctor didn't know what he would find when he went in but it was much worse than he even thought.

My pouch is 4X bigger than he wanted it to be due to blood loss and he had to close me up. I can have surgery in 6 months to a year to make it smaller, if I want. LOL Don't know if I will do it or not. 

The best news is I am doing great! I came home from hospital 8 days later. Had visit at doctors yesterday and lost 26 lbs. I had also gained 25lbs in the hospital from all the fluids they pumped in me and have lost all that also. So I am down 26lbs from my last visist at his office before surgery He was amazed I lost all that. I was amazed, I still can't believe how this surgery works.  He said even though the pouch is bigger I am doing better than he thought. My doctor said I will still loose alot of weight, maybe not as much as he/I thought but he said if I follow what I am supposed to do I will still to good. So I am still happy I had the surgery, the hernia/bowel problems would of been addressed whether I had this surgery or not. 

I am following my dietary program exactly as my nutritionist and doctor have instructed. I have not had any food issues with vomiting, diarrhea. I did not have any to eat or drink for the first 6 days then he put me on Stage 2.  Now am on stage 3 and will start pureed foods on friday. 

Love and peace, Sue

GoDawgs1979
on 5/19/15 10:57 am

I am soooo sorry about your complication, but am glad that you are doing well now and losing weight!!  

christinerocks
on 5/19/15 11:28 am - AZ
RNY on 04/06/15

So happy that you came through the challenges so well. Focus on your health and continue to get healthy! 

________

137 pounds lost - from a 24/26W to a size 8/10!

Corrie33
on 5/19/15 12:07 pm
RNY on 02/09/15

Wow, that sounds scary, but I'm really happy that you're doing so well.  Hope you'll keep us posted.  I am very curious now to see how your progress goes with a larger pouch (some days I wish mine was larger, but I'm sure that will change after the honeymoon phase - LOL).  

GOAL REACHED! 170 lbs lost...

RNY: 2/9/15 (age 52), Ht-5'9" HW=304, SW=292, GW=155, LW=134, CW=147

Mo.1 -29lbs Mo.2 -18lbs Mo.3 -13lbs Mo.4 -11lbs Mo.5 - 14lbs Mo.6 - 10lbs Mo. 7 -11lbs Mo. 8 -9.4lbs

killinmesmalls77
on 5/19/15 12:39 pm - MN
RNY on 05/07/15

Wow. So sorry about your complications and am so glad to hear that you pulled through fabulously. 26 pounds in a few weeks is amazing. That is just awesome.  Keep up the great work!

HW: 276 SW: 254.1 GW: 125 CW: 154.5

sue P.
on 5/19/15 9:39 pm
RNY on 05/05/15

Thanks everyone! 

Most Active