Very upset

hollykim
on 5/19/15 4:13 am, edited 5/19/15 4:14 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On May 18, 2015 at 4:14 PM Pacific Time, sharronosia wrote:

Kay W. 

I'm very open for discussion about food choices and will take all the help I can get. However I will not be judged by anyone because they don't know my story. I do want to thank you for any advice you have given me. Thanks for being concerned. 

so,you "won't be judged" but it is ok for you to judge us and this site. Umm hmm,I see how it is. 

I guess I missed the memo that Sid this site and the millions of ppl who use it were here,strictly for your "satisfaction".

Chilipepper
on 5/18/15 4:46 pm

Keep it simple. Easy rules to follow. 

Anything that flys in the sky, swims in the ocean or walks on the earth is protein. You can have as much as you want. 

You can also have eggs, cheese and I recommend Light and Lively Greek yogurt. 

You can have condiments little mayo to make egg, chicken tuna salad   You can have mustard to put on a hamburger patty with a melted slice of cheese. Pickles, pickled eggs...

You want to shoot for 70-90 grams a day. 

Try to keep it 30 and under for total carbs a day. Reading labels and using Google are your best resources. 

There is no exact science or manual. We have have to find our way post op. 

Fast food should be off your radar for know. This is a lifestyle of planning your meals and taking them with you. 

Dont feel bad and leave.  Just try and read and lead as much as you can.  

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

birdiegirl
on 5/19/15 2:23 am

Sharronosia this is great simple advice from Chili - easy to understand and easy to follow. 

I especially like her statement " This is a lifestyle of planning your meals and taking them with you." 

You will be successful if you follow this advice

Good luck

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 5/19/15 10:49 am
RNY on 08/05/19

>> Anything that flies in the sky, swims in the ocean or walks on the earth is protein. You can have as much as you want. 

Except for airplanes. I don't recommend eating those. ;)

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

seattledeb
on 5/18/15 10:48 pm

I hope you will stay. I hope you will help others that come on and quickly get discouraged.

You recently had a big surgery and now a whole new way of eating. The quick "judgement" about foods is from a place of help and concern IMO. It's very difficult to relearn eating habits. The ones who have been successful have learned a totally new way to eat.

I posted on that post. I posted that I did eat refried beans as my first pureed meal. I had just left the doctors and I thought it might taste good. The miracle I got in that meal was that just a little bit of food was going to fill me up. Still does if I eat the right thing. I also was in a public place eating..something that was so significant to me. Something I had done all my life and I didn't want to have it taken away from me. Early out I found a tea house and I would go there with my pot of tea and feel normal. I needed that.

No one wants you to fail. I don't want you to fail. I want you to get the support you need and all those need here on this board. I've been posting here since 2008. I quit after I got a kidney transplant and also quit following any kind of RnY diet. Guess what? I had regain.  I don't wi**** on anyone. So I'm back here. I probably weigh more than you.  I will not have rapid weight loss again. I'm working for every pound. I will share my story. I will celebrate success. I need to hear that from other people too.

What I learned all those years on here were things that work and things that don't. I learned from people I didn't particularly like but they were fellow travelers. Out in the "real" world there is not much knowledge or support for our new lifestyle.

My hope..you will stick around.

Deb T.

SkinnyScientist
on 5/18/15 11:26 pm, edited 5/18/15 11:27 pm

"they don't know my story"

Actually they DO know your current story. It goes like this: You decided to do something good for yourself, to become healthier through weight loss, and chose the very scary and difficult option of surgery to accomplish better health and improve your life.

You went into an operating room and were cut into.  Your stomach was cut or, maybe stapled, your intestines were re-routed.

By doing this, you implicitly told the world that "Things are out of control and I am having to do some pretty dramatic things to get them on course and with it comes some pretty dramatic changes" 

Your story very likely even has a psychological evaluation in it. In this evaluation they were assessing how stable you were and whether your expectations were reasonable. If you had one of these, it is very likely that someone determined that you were a strong person that had the wear-with-all to implement and see these dramatic changes through.

However, I see the foreshadowing in "Your story" that hints that "Your story" is starting to turn from one of inspiration and personal triumph to one of horror.

The heroine is putting herself in "dangerous places" (i.e. the fast food restaurant) where there is NO GOOD choice (jsut less bad ones).  She is moving away from the strong heroine on the "right path" that she started out as and is slowly morphing into a "anti-hero"

I fear that when I see the end of the story, the heroine will not have achieved the objective that she set out for (i.e. a healthy weight, happy life, normal labs) and may find herself being one of those persons that got lost in "The BlackForest" still miles away from her goal weight.

And this ending is very much different then the one I had hoped for when I started following "Your Story."

There is a group of people on this site (i.e. trying again..or something like that), who lost and regained. Many didnt even get to goal.  Maybe you should pop over there and see "there stories" and try to identify what derailed them and make sure it doesnt happen to you.

But please remember, I want "Your Story" to have the happy ending and all the fun and partying that goes with it (e.g. amusment parks, hiking the applachian trail, zip lining). I dont want it to have the tragic one.

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

JB1114
on 5/19/15 6:53 am - Grain Valley, MO

Some people come across as judgmental.  Maybe their comments would affect us differently if we were face to face.  I did block a couple of people because they were just mean and there was no doubt about how they meant their remarks.

TheWorldAccordingtoEggface.com is a great resource for recipe.  She so positive and I always feel refreshed after viewing her website.  BariatricFoodie.com is another great website.  Nikki is a successful WLS patient, very positive, funny and you would probably enjoy her website.

I didn't see your previous post or posts.  This is a great site so keep coming here and don't get discouraged.

~Jo~

RNY: July 8, 2008

Dr. John Price

Kansas City, MO

SkinnyScientist
on 5/19/15 1:33 pm

I have blocked a few too.  BAsically, one needs to ask "What does this person add?" Sometimes, some are good for giving a reality check whereas others are just plain grouchy and mean all the time.

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

Poodlemac
on 5/19/15 9:04 am
RNY on 09/26/14
On May 18, 2015 at 9:25 AM Pacific Time, sharronosia wrote:

I just have to get this off my chest. Firstly I had no idea this site was so judgmental. I just feel if someone post questions about food or anything else one should not include their personal feelings about anything. I am only 8 weeks out and is search of healthy foods so from here on out I will know and understand the difference. I'm extremely dissatisfied at this point.  

Are there any support groups in your area?  I've found 3 I go to each month and I'd go to more if they were available!  The kinship, understanding and support is amazing!  You can usually attend any doctor/hospital group and they are free. I've found the benefits immeasurable!

Han Shot First
on 5/19/15 10:06 am - Flint, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

I hope you don't give up on this site.  I truly feel this is the best WLS site out there.  I don't even visit the others anymore (or at least very rarely) because the info, support, and entertainment here is better than any other, IMHO.  

I went back through the other thread, and I didn't feel that anyone was being judgmental in there.  Many people herr have strong feelings about fast food, and for good reason:  it's so bad for us.  The rare times you get a truly healthy option are few and far between.  Plus, the vets on here have seen many people fail because of sliding back into the habits that got us obese in the first place.  The people who are at goal, and still are here, and still post do so because they truly care about helping others.  Many of them have been through the same struggles you're facing, and what I face, and so their advice is really valuable.

Hang in there!

--

150 lost and maintaining!

Most Active