newbie & walking

wls3xacharm
on 5/17/15 7:54 pm

I stared  my weight  loss journey  mid January  2015. During  that time and up to getting  bypass  I lost 37 lbs. That is including  the pre op diet. I was doing a high protein  low carb diet  and working  out six days a week. 

I got bypass surgery   on 5/14/15. I struggle  hard with this decision   because  I was so sick after surgery. I was on two different  nausea meds  but I still threw up most of the night. However,   I survived and feel much better  beside this horrible  pain on my left side.  I don't know if the pain  is from surgery  or all the vomiting  I did.

So my question  is how much walking  should I be doing?  With the pain in my left side I don't want to over do it.  I want to make sure I'm being active.

killinmesmalls77
on 5/18/15 12:04 pm - MN
RNY on 05/07/15

I had my RNY on the 7th. I am so sorry that you've been so sick. I was told that there would be a lot of pain on the left side because that is where they were doing the most work.  The clinic that I am going to encourages short walks 2-3 times a day. The more you can move the better you will feel. I am not a doctor, that is just based on my experience over the last week. I was walking 2-3 times a day for 10-15 minutes at a time. Today I was cleared to go back to the gym and walk on the treadmill for 20-25 minutes.

The people in the WLS support group I attend, also warned us about the crazy pain on the left side. They recommended ice packs to help with the pain.  

I hope you feel better soon. Keep us posted on your progress. 

HW: 276 SW: 254.1 GW: 125 CW: 154.5

wls3xacharm
on 5/18/15 1:21 pm

Thanks for the encouragement. My PA told me I'm walking  too much and to take it easy. So I'm not doing  nothing  the next few days.  I was a walker before so I guess I didn't  realize  how fast I was walking. 

Most Active