The SMELL of protein powder is making me sick!

Marys1521
on 5/19/15 12:55 pm

Since surgery on 5/11, the smell of protein powder is making me very nauseas. I did not have this problem before surgery. I keep trying different things because I know that I somehow have to get it down. I can't even look at a protein shake. I mix it with applesauce and with chicken broth, but those are the only two ways I can stomach it. I use Muscle Feast. Are there any brands that don't have THAT smell? I just took some anti-nausea medicine...and I've lost zero!

stevie95678
on 5/19/15 1:14 pm

You're still pretty recent from having your surgery, and, if you're like me, everything smelled and tasted weird.  It will eventually go away.

I really like Pure Protein ready to drink shakes (chocolate, vanilla or strawberry). You can buy them at Walmart and they're about $12 for a 4-pack. I've also checked them out on Amazon and you can get an 18 pack for $31.  I like to pop 'em in the frige and grab one on my way to work in the morning. They're so good cold, are very satisfying and you don't have to hassle with mixing and all that stuff.  I have tried Isopure Vanilla Whey protein (vanilla & chocolate) and have experimented using Michelle (www.eggface.com) website.  One of my fav recipes when I have a sweet tooth is one scoop of chocolate Isopure, a heaping tablespoon of PB2 or similar product, 8 oz of ice cold water, 1 packet of Splenda and a few ice cubes. I wiz that up in the blender and it's like drinking a peanut butter cup.  Yum!

selhard
on 5/19/15 1:20 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

Some protein powders seem more potent than others but pretty sure the smell is unavoidable.  Because I use protein powder in a morning shake, I've tried many and think the brands Unjury and Syntrax are the least offensive--choosing Unjury unflavored powder as my top pick because it matches what is highly recommended for bariatric patients = 100% whey protein isolate.  Maybe you'd be better off buying pre-mixed protein drinks until you are feeling stronger.  

Chilipepper
on 5/19/15 1:28 pm

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 5/19/15 2:23 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Have you tried the RTD Premier Protein shakes?  Costco sells them and they are available in chocolate, vanilla and strawberry cream.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

White Dove
on 5/19/15 3:03 pm - Warren, OH

The only ones that do not smell like protein powder to me are from BSN.  Lean Dessert and Syntra 6 smell like cake mix.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

NYMom222
on 5/19/15 6:42 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

First don't worry - you will lose! Trying drinking it from a cup with a lid and a straw. I never had a problem with straws and it actually made it much easier to get my fluids down. The lid keeps you from smelling it. At about 4-5 weeks I thought I was going to throw up when I tried to drink my protein... so I kept switching flavors, and what saved me was Click and Fit Frappe - which are coffee flavored. That got me through. I also started using Genepro unflavored(Amazon), you can add it to hot or cold, and it is as flavorless as they come. Good Luck!

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

mommomx2
on 5/19/15 6:53 pm

I am 2 1/2 years out - I literally still gag at the smell of the powder. I only drink GNC premade protein shakes - they have assorted flavors and taste/smell wonderful. You will need to taste and try different ones until you find one that you will enjoy. Best of luck on this great journey!

Marys1521
on 5/19/15 7:04 pm

Thank you for your kind reply. I'm about at the crying point...

Marys1521
on 5/19/15 7:10 pm

THank you! Right now, I'm a little down a little-- read too many " stories"! Still haven't lost my " surgical" gain and others, operated on the SAMENESS day have lost their ten pound gain and a lot more... I know, I can not compare my journey to someone else's, but HELLO!!! Maybe tomorrow I'll be down to my pre-surgery weight!

Most Active