Stricture

twarne
on 5/18/15 12:07 pm - Highland Grove, Ontario, Canada

I am 3 months out and the Dr. says I may have something called Stricture. He says my stomach is contracted? Never thought to ask him what causes this. It started when I changed to solid foods. I went back to puree/soft and I am still having nausea and vomiting and pain in my stomach area. Any input on the topic would be much appreciated.

Ticker 89109

selhard
on 5/18/15 5:41 am, edited 5/18/15 5:52 am - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

At a post-op meeting, I asked what might cause a stricture.  It seemed clear the bariatric team was trained to say, "it just happens."  Determined, I sneaked off to ask the floor nurses who were more candid, saying dehydration may contribute to a stricture.  Because of their candor, I probably sipped water more than if I hadn't pulled and prodded for an answer and lucked out avoiding that common problem.  Let us know what answer you get when you go back and ask.  Take care, twarne. 

Karen M.
on 5/19/15 5:44 am - Mississauga, Canada

I've never heard that dehydration may contribute to a stricture ever. I highly doubt that in the majority of cases.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

nicupnorth
on 5/18/15 5:12 pm - Eagle river, WI

I had a stricture, getting it fixed was a breeze and I was so happy to eat solids and not throw up.  I had a stricture with a small ulcer.  My MD stated he was not sure if the ulcer caused the stricture or vice versa.  

You will be so happy when you get stretched, at that point I was not sure if I was happy yet with having the surgery but when I was able to eat,  everything came together diet/excerise I was so glad I had the surgery. Good luck

Karen M.
on 5/18/15 10:41 pm, edited 5/18/15 10:42 pm - Mississauga, Canada

I had a stricture that developed around 5 weeks post-op. It started with everything slightly solid getting stuck, causing a lot of chest pain, and eventually coming back up the same way it tried to go down. Over a couple of days it progressed into not being able to get liquids in either. It's a very simple fix - balloon endoscopy dilation. You need to see your surgeon and get it fixed.

Edited to add: Your stomach is not "contracted". Your stoma has closed too small.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

rocky513
on 5/19/15 6:09 am - WI

A stricture is nothing more than scar tissue that has built up around the stoma, tightening it so that food or water can't go through.  Dehydration has nothing to do with a stricture.  If you are prone to excess scar tissue, you can develop a stricture.  It's an easy fix.  They simply go in and stretch out the tissue that has developed the scar.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Most Active