Recommendations for Protein powder/bars?

(deactivated member)
on 5/16/15 4:31 pm

I'm 7 weeks out, and even though my NUT doesn't want me using protein powder,  I feel like I do need it. I can't do breakfast anymore, so I only stick to smoothies. Any recommendations for protein powder? Protein bars?

Missella20
on 5/16/15 11:24 pm, edited 5/16/15 11:25 pm
RNY on 07/11/13

I use the protein powder from GNC in my coffee and smoothies with Greek yogurt. It is Whey unflavored. And I like chocolate whey from Walmart or the cheapest I can find for a quick low calorie high protein choc shake mixed with water. I got so sick of shakes, protein bars, and yogurt I stopped for awhile. But now I'm back to a shake in the morning and yogurt for lunch. I love the Dannon light & fit Greek yogurt strawberry cheesecake 80 cal and 12 g of protein. It tastes like creamy cheesecake to me! My fav smoothie is unflavored protein powder, vanilla lite and fit greek yogurt, banana, 7 strawberries, ice and crystal lite lemonade blended up. Yumm and has 36 g of protein! Don't eat much protein bars anymore. I think the calories are too high for me and not worth it. But when I do I like zone and similar ones. The high protein ones taste yucky. I tried the GNC and they are sooo dense...yuck. 

Ella

HW 264    SW 234    CW 149    5'4" 

(deactivated member)
on 5/18/15 9:34 am

Thanks, I'll look into going to GNC. I was confused with all the proteins offered, because I went to Trader Joes and a local Health food store, there are endless options, but wasn't sure about what was right for me.

lynnc99
on 5/16/15 11:39 pm

My doc gave very specific guidelines when it came to protein bars. Bottom line: Be VERY careful! Some are candy bars in disguise! Here were the recommendations she gave:

Less than 200 calories

Sugar is not in the first 5 ingredients

At least 15 gm protein

No more than 3 gm sugar (I now allow myself up to 5 gm sugar) listed on nutrition label

And this guideline is mine - No sugar alcohols. They set my system into a frenzy of terrible side effects. 

This limits the choice of bars significantly. My bars of choice over the years were Pure Protein (available at Walmart) and the "original" flavors of Quest bars (available at GNC - but read carefully because a number of flavors are their "new" formula which does include sugar alcohols). 

I have to be very careful with bars - they are like a trigger for overeating to me these days - but early out I did use them pretty regularly. Now (I am coming up on 6 yrs out) I try to keep the calories low in any shake I use and look for a "clean" ingredient label. 

As for protein drinks, there is a world of opinion out there. Everyone's taste is very individual on these, and I find that my own tastes change every so often - who knows why! I've tried many but settled in on those that are easy to buy at a store vs. having to order. Here are a few that I've used:

GNC AMP protein - the chocolate isn't overly sweet. I used only 1 scoop (the label will recommend 2 or 3). 

The one you get at Walmart - forget the brand but it's always there in chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry flavors with a black lid - I used this one consistently for a long time because the price was so affordable, under $20. Nothing remarkable in flavor but you can add a little hit of DaSani SF syrup to kick the flavor up a notch. 

Quest Nutrition Protein - just tried this one which was on sale at GNC (but I've noticed not all GNC's carry it) and like it! It has a short list of ingredients so pretty "clean" and delivers a good amount of protein. 

Atkins or Muscle Milk 100 ready to drink - this is another brand I've used pretty consistently over the years. 160 calories, at least 15 gm protein, and decent flavor assortment. Sometimes I need the convenience or "grab and go" without mixing and these do the trick. Especially good to take along in a cooler bag if I'm on a longer road trip or have an extended work day and need an extra snack on hand. Watch the Muscle Milks - they have many formulations out there - I stick with the 100 cal. 

Premier Protein - another ready to drink shake available at Costco. Delivers a whopping 30 gm protein! Their formula seems to have changed a couple of times, and for a while I added a little water because the shake seemed too thick to me. 

wls3xacharm
on 5/17/15 3:29 pm

Quest have the best Protien Bar. They taste delicious & high in Protien.

(deactivated member)
on 5/18/15 9:41 am

I was interested in the protein bars as occasionally snacks, I am always on the go because of my job. I wouldn't expect to even be able to eat a whole bar, maybe a quarter of it. Thanks for the ideas!

Han Shot First
on 5/17/15 3:54 pm - Flint, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

I eat the Quest protein bars.  I started about 5 months ago, and I've had one every morning for breakfast ever since.  I've had no problems with them at all.  However, some people have had some issues with them (and other protein bars).  Do a search for Quest Bars and see what has happened to others.

--

150 lost and maintaining!

(deactivated member)
on 5/18/15 9:56 am

Thanks, I believe my local pharmacy has a variety of protein bars, I'll have to try different ones to see which ones will suit me best.

NYMom222
on 5/17/15 8:21 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I recently discovered some Whey protein that I am loving. I discovered it in of all places Walgreens. They carry it at GNC also, but it is more expensive, and when Walgreens has it on sale it is $22. It is Natural Whey by Bodylogix. Vanilla and Chocolate. It is the only vanilla I actually like. Natural Whey

I also like Click and Fit Frappe which are coffee flavored. I enjoy the Inspire Pumpkin Pie and Peanut Butter Cookie Powders from Bariatric Eating.com

Also use RTD Premier Protein

My surgeon wants us to have a protein drink a day while we are losing weight. I don't think I could get my protein in without it. I find my tastebuds changed over time after the surgery... for awhile the coffee flavored was the only thing I could tolerate. Good Luck!

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

lynnc99
on 5/18/15 6:29 am

Appreciate the tip on Bodylogix! I plan to give it a try. 

Also - I'd forgotten about Click! Many of my friends swear by it!

Most Active