Irregular heart beat while exercising

Semaenlightened
on 5/15/15 7:32 pm
RNY on 03/25/15

I know I need to talk to my Dr. about this and I will, but was just interested if anyone else has experienced this.  I am 7 weeks out.  Exercise daily, get all my protein and all my fluids.  Lately when I am swimming laps or on the elliptical when I stop to check my hear rate it seems to be irregular.  It will beat 3 times normal then skip, then stutter then back to normal.  My blood pressure is fine and my resting heart rate is around 64 which is great.  It seems to only happen when I am exercising..other than the few times where it has like my heart "flips" in my chest.  I have never had heart issues, and I was take off my blood pressure med before leaving the hospital after surgery.

Thanks

(deactivated member)
on 5/15/15 8:52 pm
RNY on 05/04/15

Definitely see your doctor, but the most likely suspects are pretty benign. I AM NOT A DOCTOR and this is not medical advice, but that sounds similar to how premature ventricular contractions or premature atrial contractions tend to feel. They're pretty harmless on their own but can be more dangerous if they start to occur in multiples. Seeing a cardiologist (and likely doing a 24-48 hour Holter monitor) is the only way to know for sure.

I had frequent PVCs diagnosed with a 30-day event monitor a few years ago. I was 2 weeks away from my wedding, had just gone back to working nights, and was drinking a LOT of caffeine -- magically, when the wedding stress was over, they went away on their own, lol.

Semaenlightened
on 5/15/15 9:04 pm
RNY on 03/25/15

Thanks!

Jessca
on 5/15/15 11:23 pm
RNY on 04/20/15

I have heart palpitations sometimes. While exercising or when I'm anxious/tense about something (like getting in a really heated debate with someone). It kind of feels like my heart is beating in my throat and it's irregular. It's been happening since I was a teenager and I wore a Holter monitor for 24 hours when I was 17 and they didn't see anything weird (even though it happened while I was wearing it). My EKG was normal before surgery too. So just giving reassurance that it could be nothing but I would still mention it to the doc. Definitely try not to freak out about it I notice that makes mine worse.

HW 313 SW 273 CW 208

M1 - 25 M2 - 10 M3 - 12 M4 - 9 M5 - 5 M6 - 4

bublegirl1
on 5/16/15 12:16 am
RNY on 11/10/14

I have had palpitations for years. I've had cardiac testing including Holter monitor, ekg, echo, treadmill. Everything was normal. I do have mitral valve prolapse that was diagnosed few years or so after they started. But it's not a serious condition and common in women. My doctor told me if you're not feeling like you're going to black out or pass out to not worry too much about it. Caffeine and stress are culprits for me. And even too many carbs now. 

Try not to worry but FOR SURE ask your doctor. I just don't want you to panic and make it worse. :)

-Amie

Semaenlightened
on 5/16/15 5:54 am
RNY on 03/25/15

Thanks so much everyone for your responses!!!

Red37
on 5/15/15 11:38 pm, edited 5/15/15 11:38 pm
RNY on 05/28/15

I have had heart palpitations for the last few years (I am preop still), while it can be scary my doctor does not seem concerned. It is very noticeable when I am under a great deal of stress or I drink caffeine. The worst is if I am driving, it makes me nervous. I try not to drink caffeine and do my best to ease stress-doesn't always work though. If it happens take a deep breath and sit down for a minute, it will pass.

Most Active