worried son

(deactivated member)
on 5/14/15 3:51 pm

Hi everyone - I come to you all seeking guidance and support

My Mother had this surgery about 1.5 years ago, and I will start by saying, in terms of weight loss, she has had great success.  

I do wish to seek some other's experiences and suggestions for her protein intake.  Her boyfriend and I (whom she refers to as the "protein police"), have been trying to find ways for her to get the sufficient amount of protein daily and it has become a difficult task.  

My mother had become sick with what I believe was the flu very shortly after her surgery and had difficulty keeping anything down, resulting in her stomach not having enough substance to stretch out healthily.  Down the road, this has caused issues for the amount of food/protein she can have at any given time.   She doesnt have the strength she use to and also gets tired quickly and we are sure that it is related to her lack of protein.

She has always been a very picky eater and often will be sure she hates something before even trying it or if it is different than the norm.  The protein smoothy/drink has been a difficult one to get her on.  She has gone through 2 large tubs of protein powder in that time, and will only consume it with water, nothing else.  She wont try to make a smoothie with it, any I have tried to look up other suggestions on how to make sure she is getting her suggested daily intake.  

At any given meal, her portions will only be about 3/4 cup to a cup of food, and will very rarely weigh out her portions.  She still does snack and while she does make some of those snacks healthy/protein choices, not all are that way.  

knowing that I have not gone through the things she has gone through regarding weight makes it difficult for my to understand how difficult it can be over time, but this shout-out is out of concern for her well being down the road.  We both just want her to be able to find a good weekly menu and routine that works for her and hope that anyone here can suggest desirable options.

Some info:

- Guesstimate of her daily protein intake is about 30-40 grams

- use of salted-butter over unsalted butter

- She cant keep pork down, but bacon/ham seems to be ok.

- Can eat too quickly some times which can get air inside, causing her to get full too quickly

- comfort food high in sodium is on the menu about 4-5/7 days a week

I want to make sure you all know this is being done for her benefit and our concern.  We do our best to be supportive of her, but personally me being ok with her not getting her protein is not supportive and try not to harp on her consistently.  I still do consider my mother's surgery and journey a success, but want to help find her the tools and direction to continue that success long term.

Thanks to all who take the time to read this, and any suggestions/input are greatly appreciated.

Cheers

M

selhard
on 5/14/15 1:21 pm, edited 5/14/15 1:22 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

IF THIS IS TRUE...

My first thought is your mom's life decisions seem to be impacting your own life more than maybe it should since you are seeking help for her.  Being supportive of her successes is one thing but carrying the load of a lifestyle change is a load best for her to carry.   Having said that, there is more requirements in addition to protein intake:  is she taking all the daily supplements, is she drinking at least 64 ounces of water, is she getting exercise, is she going through emotional ups and downs?  These factors could contribute to her tiredness as much, if not more. My suggestion would be to let your mom know you want her to do the right things and you love her enough to back off with the harping (your words) so she can.  Then, focus on yourself and your successes :) 

Kathyjs
on 5/17/15 10:00 am

First of let me say she is lucky to have such caring son. That being said :-)back off the poor lady. I never drank a protein drink and still at goal 12 years later. She needs vitamins and lots of water . Since our stomach hold so little protein should be the first choice but she also needs a  'diet ' consisting of fruits , veggies , healthy carbs. The protein after surgery is so important for healing. She's healed. Still needs protein but I am sure she knows this. Some days even now I eat a bite and can't eat another bite. I never ever eat more than half a cup. I can't tolerate more. Give your mom a hug and some space. Hugs

Most Active
Recent Topics
A Year and a Month Out Already.
Watson · 1 replies · 27 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 420 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 400 views