???????? Taco bell? ???????

lynnc99
on 5/14/15 9:08 am

A few decent fast food choices exist in the long run but for now - stick with Wendy's chili!

Kate -True Brit
on 5/14/15 9:29 am - UK

Try really hard, now, while your motivation is at its highest, to move away from ANY fast/junk food. This is the best time to really start to make healthy choices. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

stevie95678
on 5/14/15 9:58 am

In a pinch, I've ordered a side of refried beans with a scoop of taco meat.  It was incredibly yummy and my pouch didn't object at all.  I had it for almost three meals though - the portions are kinda large.  I've also ordered a taco and emptied it out and ate the inside.  I try not to eat "out" very often cuz everything is laden with hidden sodium and fat.

SkinnyScientist
on 5/19/15 6:02 am

Key phrase: In a pinch

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

(deactivated member)
on 5/14/15 11:46 am
RNY on 05/04/15

My NUT specifically recommends Taco Bell's refried beans with cheese for the puree stage post-op. There's nothing inherently evil about fast food just because it's fast food. You just have to be careful...there are far more bad choices at most fast food places than good choices, and going frequently can lead to lots of temptation. But the good choices they offer don't magically become "bad" just because they're from a fast food restaurant.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 5/14/15 1:10 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

Sorry friend -- but I will have to disagree with you here.  My nut recommended mashed potatoes and egg mcmuffins -- but she was wrong.  

Taco Bell's refried beans have 190 calories, 21 grams of carbs, 7 grams of fat and only 11 grams of protein.  That's not even counting the 670 grams of sodium!  

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

(deactivated member)
on 5/14/15 1:34 pm
RNY on 05/04/15

I have noticed that my clinic recommends foods with a lot more carbs than people on here tend to eat. While some people say they avoid bread and pasta altogether, my book actually says in the long-term eating section, "breads are easier to eat if toasted. Pasta is best cooked soft." They say the key is moderation, not to diet for the rest of your life, but I question how wise it is to tell a carb addict they can have bread and pasta. Bread is my gateway drug to binging.

chulbert
on 5/18/15 6:03 am - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

My surgeon's eating plan is specifically not low-carb or high-protein and he says so plainly.  He says, "Low-sugar and low-fat with adequate protein."  Oatmeal, fruit, whole grains, and legumes are all on his approved list of foods and even included in many of his sample menus.

It often frustrates me when people talk macronutrients because they aren't what we eat.  We eat foods.  If bread is a trigger food for you then maybe you should avoid it but it simply doesn't logically follow when someone says "food X is a trigger food, it contains mostly carbohydrates, therefore I will avoid all carbohydrates."  

As I've often said, it wasn't the baked potato that made us fat.  It was the bacon, cheddar, sour cream, and butter you slathered on top of it, next to the 18 oz steak.

Anyways, I don't want to derail this thread further.  I don't have the energy to debate this today.  :)  But rest assured there are plenty of surgeons and dietitians that recommend nutritious whole, natural foods that just happen to contain carbohydrates.  And there are plenty of successful long-term post-ops who eat them.

(deactivated member)
on 5/18/15 8:26 am
RNY on 05/04/15

I'm sorry if I frustrated you -- I wasn't trying to make an equivalency between bread and all carbs. I guess I should have been more specific that it's refined white flour that totally sets off my binging tendencies, which is why I found it odd that my plan doesn't specify whole-grain bread or pasta or even mention moderation. But thank you for your reply! I hear so many people talk about how religiously they stick to "no carbs," so it makes me feel a lot better to know that other plans also go by the mantra that no macronutrient is the devil. Just like any fad diet, the "balanced" part of "well-balanced diet" always seems to be forgotten.

chulbert
on 5/18/15 8:29 am - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

No worries.  I was speaking in generalities.  You didn't frustrate me.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 505 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 401 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 420 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 234 views
What?s on this Sunday?s menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 122 views
A Year and a Month Out Already.