Vets: Pertaining to "not hungry" days

SkinnyScientist
on 5/13/15 8:40 am

This one is for the Vets!

My plan advises those within the first year post op to eat "just a few bites" even if one is not hungry.

I am beyond that year.

For what ever reason, I was not hungry for breakfast so I didn't eat any on the anticipation that I would be hungry at lunch.

So...now it is lunch time. I am not hungry.  I have been drinking my fluids and taking my vitamins as usual.  But now I am like..."Um?"

The reason I am concerned about this is: at 3.30 pm today, I got a high intensity interval training class (for 30 minutes) followed by a short run (like 40 minutes- about 3 miles).  Should I eat now regardless of hunger level?  Wait closer to my class. Not eat at all and see what happens during class?

I wish this topic would ahve been covered (i.e. not eating/meal skipping at 1+ year post op).

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

selhard
on 5/13/15 2:01 am, edited 5/13/15 2:03 am - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

Slap me for not being a vet, but my instructions say to eat every three waking hours to keep blood sugars at an even level for an optimum-working body.

chulbert
on 5/13/15 9:13 am - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

I do not eat if I'm not hungry.

Patm
on 5/13/15 10:29 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

I would have something before you do that much exercise. You could end up passing out

Good luck

pamela258
on 5/13/15 10:56 am
with
I'm not a 'Vet" either but why would you not want to keep your blood sugar levels even? I would die if I tried to exercise or do strenuous work without eating all day. I'm not saying eat a full meal if you aren't hungry but certainly a high protein snack or dense protein would be better than skipping meals. Just my 2 cents.

RNY - 8/12/2013

ladygodiva1228
on 5/13/15 11:04 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15

It really is not smart for a person not to eat all day whether they had WLS or not. 

Hungry or not you need to fuel your body in order for it to work correctly.  If you want to chance muscle cramps or passing out then by all means don't eat, but if you want to maximize your workouts and keep your body healthy please eat some good protein based foods.

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 5/13/15 11:18 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

I'm not a vet, but I find that whenever I don't eat b4 a workout, my workout is a lot less intensive than if I had a little something b4 I worked out. Having a small meal b4 that kind of workout would be the better way to go. You don't want to risk passing out or having a crappy workout just cuz you didn't feel hunger. If you don't feel hunger all day does that mean you don't eat? The answer is no btw.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

SkinnyScientist
on 5/13/15 11:19 pm

I did chose to eat and had a great HIIT workout!  Thank you.

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

Chilipepper
on 5/13/15 11:57 am

You should eat several small meals instead of 3 full size meals.  Pre or post op. 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/13/15 12:10 pm

typical advice is to eat often. And the smaller you are - the less reserves you may have.  and your body really works hard trying to convert fat or proteins (your muscles) for energy when you work really hard. Also - not eating - can really affect adrenals - they have to work really hard to provide cortisone - needed to convert fat or proteins infor blood sugar. 

but - as long as you are OK, and let's say - had a few really high calories - carby days just before that"not hungry day" then your so called "tanks" are full, and one day of not eating much would probably not hurt you. 

but - if you were "getting back on track" and really limited calories and carbs last few days - lack of being hungry is like in a fasting mode - it take 2-3 days before your body gets info ketosis - burning its own fat and muscles.  

so.. if you want to build muscles - you need to eat... if you want to get smaller - and don't mind losing muscle mass and strength, (that what your body would lose first - when your reach some level of a female body fat %) - then go ahead - and don't bother eating unless hungry.  but then make sure you have something with you while you work out...candy, glucose tables, etc.. 

BTW: latest study show advantages of intermittent fasting... google that.  

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."