Lap band to gastric bypass

Zoey0317
on 5/12/15 11:24 am

I have an upcoming appointment with my surgeon to consult about having my lap band removed and turning to gastric bypass. I've heard there are some patients who have the band removed and the gastric bypass revision done as one procedure and then others who have the band removed and have to wait a while before having the gastric bypass surgery. Can anyone give some insight as to why one step vs two steps is needed? I've been looking online but can't really find much. Thank you.

molly3613
on 5/12/15 1:49 pm - TX
RNY on 01/24/13

No idea but I have found techniques and plans vary surgeon to surgeon.  Mine took the lap band out, repaired a small hernia and did the by pass all at one time.  I was so glad.  One anesthetic and one surgery and one recovery.

(deactivated member)
on 5/12/15 2:35 pm
RNY on 05/04/15

I believe a lot of the time, it depends on whether you have damage from the band that your surgeon thinks needs time to heal before converting to another surgery. A friend of mine had a lot of acid erosion from an esophageal dilation, so her surgeon wanted her to be on Nexium for a few months after her band was removed before operating again. Surgeons sometimes just have their own preferences, too.

Sherrie P.
on 5/12/15 6:17 pm
RNY on 02/06/13

I am band to bypass and it was done in all one procedure. My surgeon said that if he got in there and my stomach was a mess from the band and there was too much scar tissue he would have to turn it into 2 steps. He based it on two things 1. the condition of my stomach and 2. if the band took too long to remove causing me to be under anesthesia too long.

Some doctors won't even try it at all at once. That is just their policy.

Good luck!

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

Zoey0317
on 5/13/15 8:01 am

Thank you all for the replies! What you said makes perfect sense now. Thanks again!

Cooter N.
on 5/13/15 7:37 pm

I had my lapband removed and bypass at the same time. Took about an hour. Been a super transition and the bypass has been much better than the band.  Good luck. I am 3 months out and 272 to 205. 

Surgery 2/3/15 Band to RNY Hw:272 CW:262   

nininn
on 5/13/15 7:49 pm - RI
RNY on 11/02/15

I had my lapband out due to erosion through my stomach wall and had to wait to heal before getting the Bypass.  I am in transition now going through all the approval steps again.  My friend had hers revised to a sleeve when her band was taken out all at once.  Good luck!

GoDawgs1979
on 5/14/15 6:12 am

I'm planning to have a revision of lap band to bypass, and had my first appointment with a surgeon yesterday.  He said that removal of the lap band is extremely simple and will be at the same time as the bypass.  My guess is it's only done in two surgeries if there is a problem with the band, like erosion, slippage and scar tissue or irritation, etc.  My band looks great, but I just didn't lose much weight.

Zoey0317
on 5/14/15 6:11 pm

Thank you everyone for your replies! I had my appointment today and was told by my surgeon that the band removal and bypass will be done all in one surgery unless he finds some type of problem that the band has caused such as severe scar tissue, leak, band slip, etc. Hopefully all will look good when he goes in and it can all be done at once. He did say though that he will have to go below the band to avoid the scar tissue which will cause me to have a slightly larger pouch than he would give if this was the first bariatric surgery. He said if he were to make the cut where the band was which would be the first choice that this could increase the risk for a leak. That sort of concerned me. Anyone else have this problem? 

Most Active
Recent Topics
A Year and a Month Out Already.
Watson · 1 replies · 27 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 420 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 400 views