How long do you stay at 2 oz of food?

mute
on 5/11/15 9:52 am
RNY on 03/23/15

I know every ones' plan is different. I am not feeling hungry or dissatisfied with 2 oz. at all but I've seen different people say they eat 3 or 4 oz. and wondered when was the appropriate time to move up to that?

Melinda

HW: 377 SW: 362 CW:131

TOTAL LOSS: 249 pounds

ShebasMom
on 5/11/15 10:14 am
Revision on 07/05/16

Did your plan give you a suggestion when to move up? If not, you should talk with your dietitian, to follow their advice. That being said, here is what my eating plan was like. Liquids for first 3 weeks. At 3 weeks, I could eat 2 oz of puree/soft, and to advance to 4 oz as tolerated.  At 3 months, I was advanced to 4 oz of solids and increase as tolerated to 8 oz by 6 months. I wasn't a daredevil, I advanced it slowly. 

mute
on 5/11/15 10:30 am
RNY on 03/23/15

My NUT is fairly useless. The things that were on my plan really early on are things that I don't agree that I should be eating for a very long time so I don't actually take her advice on almost anything. Things like crackers, pasta, potatoes among others that I think shouldn't be on there. And there were never any guidelines as far as how much to eat.

That's why I wanted to see what others do and for how long. Thanks!

Melinda

Maria27
on 5/11/15 10:24 am - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

It really depends on what you are eating, so you need to learn to pay attention to your body. I can eat 4 oz if I am eating something like yogurt or cheese and I eat slow. If I eat something like chicken, I will only eat around 2 oz. But I can eat closer to 3 oz if I eat something along the lines of deli chicken and cheese roll-ups. My plan's limit has always been 4 oz, so I have learned by paying close attention to when I am full. I wouldn't worry about getting in more food until either you are feeling hungry or dissatisfied or you are not meeting your daily protein minimum. I started eating more food when I couldn't stomach the protein shakes anymore. Now I drink 1/2 a premier protein each day and get the rest of my protein from food fairly easily.

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

mute
on 5/11/15 10:34 am
RNY on 03/23/15

Thanks - I definitely notice when it comes to meat sometimes I can't even eat the 2 oz even if it's deli meat. I only feel hungry when I go too long in between eating so I'm not that concerned with it. I was more concerned with my protein intake - I mostly get to 60-65 every day but I'd like to get to a little more than that. 

Melinda

boxtop2006
on 5/11/15 10:56 am
RNY on 03/24/15

to add protein but not a lot of calories/fat/sugar/carbs, you could always drink half a premier protein shake, that would give you another 15 proteins but only 80 calories, .5 fat, 2 carbs and .5 sugar.  My NUT said I should try to get around 65-70 proteins a day.  I had RNY 7 weeks ago, I drink a premier protein shake for breakfast and snack (it's 11 oz so I can't drink it all at one time), for Lunch the NUT only wants 1oz of meat and some veg but usually I can only do the 1oz of meat for lunch, for Dinner I am suppose to have 2oz of meat and 1/2 cup of veg but usually after eating the protein (meat) I don't get but a couple greenbeans in before I'm full.  For my last snack I will choose 1/2 a protein shake or Old Wisconsin turkey sausage bites depending on how many more proteins I need for the day.  I also track everything in MFP to make sure I get in everything I need but not too much of the stuff I don't. Good Luck!

Consult: 235 Surgery: 209 Current: 158.5 Goal: 140     

caliannie
on 5/11/15 1:55 pm - CA
RNY on 04/14/15

I'm just a couple of weeks behind you surgerywise. I'm still on soft pureed foods but have had some sliced turkey breast (really really moist) and salmon. Each time I had no more than about 1oz of meat. My plan right now calls for no more than 1/3c of food at one time. That seems to be about all I can handle without hiccupping (my signal that I'm full). I noticed that I can eat 4oz of cottage cheese for breakfast with no problem.

When I went back for my 1st week post-op appointment the NP said to use my surgery date to advance to the next stage. Tomorrow will be 4 weeks so I get to move a little away from pureed food. I see my surgeon and the NUT this coming Friday and hoping to get a better sense of what goals I should be meeting. I know fluid is 64oz (still haven't gotten there yet) and protein is 50-60grams. I don't get the protein without including a protein drink.

Since you have no faith in your NUT definitely keep checking here to see how others are progressing. I too use MFP which helps with seeing where I am with my goals.

Carpe Diem!

Height: 5'5"  HW: 237 SW: 237 CW:138 GW: 134   M1: -31  M2: -14  M3:-12  M4: -10  M5: -10  M6: -5 M7: -4 M8: -5 M9: -5 M10: -2 M11: M12: -1

Most Active
Recent Topics
A Year and a Month Out Already.
Watson · 1 replies · 27 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 420 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 400 views