Newbie - tell me about surgery

selhard
on 5/14/15 12:15 pm, edited 5/14/15 9:38 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

1.  Admitted on Monday, released on Thursday...needed all those days finding it difficult to comprehend outpatient.

2.  Pain levels between 4-7.  Walked within five hours but tough-going. Followed a liberal post-op diet compared to varied other plans.  Not one moment of regret because I was in serious health-trouble and it was "do this or else."

3.  At age 52, I couldn't have gone back in a week, desk job or not, nor would have wanted a DD to go back to work that fast.

4.  WLS is like taking a giant leap of faith.

shackleford
on 5/15/15 1:34 pm

I am a lap band to gastric bypass patient so I'll quickly tell you my experience. 

1. I was in the hospital for 2 total nights and needed both nights. My surgery was pushed back 10 hours (ugh, I know) due to my surgeon having an emergency so I was operated on at 9pm. My husband had gastric bypass in 2009 and was released the day after his surgery, just depends on the person. 

2. I was among the unfortunate few who had horrible gas pains. I had a drain, an On-q pain pump, and a catheter. I walked as soon as I could stand and walked the halls every couple of hours and it didn't help with my pain at all. I cut myself off of the morphine after a couple doses because it did nothing... This isn't the norm from what I've read on the forums. My husband had no gas pains whatsoever! After 24 hours I was able to "eat" clear liquids... Broth, popsicles, jello, etc. I wasn't hungry and didn't get much down. I've never once regretted my decision even with the post op gas pains. Never! 

3. I took 9 days off of my full time retail job and could have easily went back after 5-6 days. Once I got home and the gas pain subsided, I was back to normal. I didn't really suffer from fatigue too much. 

4. Everyone should have a small fear of complications from major surgery, it's normal! You can ask your surgeon about their complication percentages and even if they've had any deaths. I comforted myself with knowing that my surgeon does revisions in his sleep, pretty much. I put my faith in him and the team. 

Good luck and feel free to message me if you have any more questions. 😊

wls3xacharm
on 5/17/15 4:13 pm

I had  bypass on Thursday  5/14. After my surgery  I woke  up in extreme  pain. I usually  can take pain but it was awful. I was definitely  questioning  my decision  to have this  surgery.  On top of the pain I was vomiting old blood all night. I was on two different  nausea  meds but was still vomiting  up nothing/ stomach  acids.  I didn't  have a drain and  when I got up to walk and use the bath room my incision  was dripping blood. I was leaking through  my gown. Once I got changed I started to walk.  The walking  made things so much better.  I was released  the next day but I sated in a hotel  close to the  hospital just in case I needed to go back. I made it home Saturday  morning.  I still have pain in my left side. I have trouble  sitting. I'm at the point I need a refill on my pain meds. I'm  off wor****il Wednesday  and then I will Telework  for a week. I'm making  sure to walk and get I'm my protein  and fluids. I'm also  monitoring  my temp since I have this pain in my lower right side. I also  purchased  a binder and that seems to help with my pain. I wasn't worried  about death.   But I was out cold after surgery  until about 10pm.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 505 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 401 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 420 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 234 views
What?s on this Sunday?s menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 122 views
A Year and a Month Out Already.