Stricture vs. Not tolerating?

cheapskate
on 5/12/15 2:50 pm
RNY on 03/30/15

I am 5 weeks. Post op. I am wondering what the difference is in feelings between a stricture and just not. Tolerating a specific food. 

I did have a set back 2weeks post op and doc said to consider it day 1 food wise but just looking for some insight. e

rocky513
on 5/12/15 4:00 pm - WI

With a stricture, you would not be able to keep anything down... not even water.  It feels like what ever it is that you ate/drank is just sitting in you esophagus and won't enter your pouch.  The food/water will not pass onto the pouch...period.

If you are simply not tolerating something, everything else will work fine but when you eat the problem food, you get sick.

Sometimes we eat too fast, too much, or don't chew enough, and food will block the opening to your pouch.  That feels like a painful pressure in your chest.  It usually passes in it's own in time. 

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

cheapskate
on 5/12/15 4:28 pm
RNY on 03/30/15

Thanks!  I think maybe I need to slow down and chew bettet

Patrice
(PatriceMarieV1 on...

on 5/12/15 5:13 pm
RNY on 03/11/15

I had the exact same questions about 5 weeks out and was about 98% convinced that I had a stricture where my hiatal hernia was repaired.  I was also convinced that I was eating microscopic bites and chewing them fully.  However, the feedback I received from the WLS surgery vets was that I was probably still eating too fast and/or bites that were too large.  I am now 2 months post op and I no longer think I have a stricture.  It seems that I simply do not yet tolerate any type of dense protein very well.  Especially, if I don't allow a lot of time in between bites.  Today was the first day that I could actually eat tuna fish without getting the foamies and throwing it all back up. Maybe if you give certain foods a break and try them again in a few weeks they will go down better for you.

Kathyjs
on 5/13/15 8:05 am

Surgery is the 'easy way out' people have no clue the decision we made to save our lives is not easy. I still have to slow down or pay. Glad things are better

Loveandlafs
on 5/13/15 5:28 pm

Phew, thanks for asking...I am about six weeks out and just lost my "cookies" so to speak....tried just plain hamburger at dinner....obviously not good.  I made sure to chew thoroughly but UGH apparently I don't have the tummy tolerance for Real meat protein.   I'll try again much much later!  For now, premier protein remains my bestie!!

Most Active
Recent Topics
A Year and a Month Out Already.
Watson · 1 replies · 27 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 420 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 400 views