Can't keep anything down!

melissasue1982
on 5/11/15 12:48 pm
RNY on 04/06/15

I have contacted my surgeon regarding this...I am 5 weeks out from surgery

So this weekend I was having trouble keeping anything "solid" down, no fun.  But today I cant keep anything down.  Not even water!!!  I am miserable :(

Surgeon's office says go to ER if I start feeling dehydrated.  Possibly swelling or a stricture!  Oh great...that sounds fun!  So I am to go back to stage 1 & 2 of diet. But right now I cant even keep water down.......I am just trying to take one sip every few minutes

I dont have any nausea, just after I eat or drink it feels like everything is still in my throat, like it hasn't gone down at all.  It just sits there until I end up vomiting.  UGH

HW: 328 Program start weight: 309 SW:275.8 CW: 154.6 (12/14/16)

hollykim
on 5/11/15 5:51 am, edited 5/11/15 5:51 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On May 11, 2015 at 12:48 PM Pacific Time, melissasue1982 wrote:

I have contacted my surgeon regarding this...I am 5 weeks out from surgery

So this weekend I was having trouble keeping anything "solid" down, no fun.  But today I cant keep anything down.  Not even water!!!  I am miserable :(

Surgeon's office says go to ER if I start feeling dehydrated.  Possibly swelling or a stricture!  Oh great...that sounds fun!  So I am to go back to stage 1 & 2 of diet. But right now I cant even keep water down.......I am just trying to take one sip every few minutes

I dont have any nausea, just after I eat or drink it feels like everything is still in my throat, like it hasn't gone down at all.  It just sits there until I end up vomiting.  UGH

you just need to go on to the  ER.m It is most likely a stricture if even water won't go down. Don't wait. The longer you wait the more dehydrated you are getting and that can be life threatening,I am not kidding.

Karen M.
on 5/11/15 12:52 pm - Mississauga, Canada

Unfortunately that does sound like a stricture. I developed one myself at right about the same timeframe you're at now. I know this won't make any sense since water won't go down, but try warm tea - tiny sips. It was the only thing that worked (a little, trust me not a lot) while I waited for treatment for the stricture. You need an appointment with your surgeon pronto and will require a balloon dilation endoscopy to stretch the stoma back out a little. Good luck, keep trying to sip!

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

melissasue1982
on 5/11/15 12:56 pm
RNY on 04/06/15

Oh man, I really don't like tea...any kind of tea.  But I will continue to sip my water...VEEEEERY slowly.  I will call my surgeon's office again tomorrow if things haven't gotten any better.

The women I talked to at the surgeons office said it might be swelling, BUT I am unable to eat things I could eat before.  So swelling doesn't sound right to me.

Karen M.
on 5/11/15 1:01 pm - Mississauga, Canada

It doesn't have to be tea - warm (hot) water, coffee, whatever.

You need to see your surgeon - this is an easy fix, but a rather immediate one. The woman taking your calls isn't qualified (I'm assuming) to tell you if it's swelling or something else. Call them back.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

melissasue1982
on 5/11/15 1:03 pm
RNY on 04/06/15

Guess I will try plain water heated up, I don't drink coffee either!  ;)

Emiepie
on 5/11/15 1:16 pm
RNY on 08/11/14

Sending you best wishes, hope you feel better really soon.

RNY 8/11/14 with Dr. Kelvin Higa PS Lipectomy 4/12/17 with Dr. John Burnett HW291.4/CW165/GW150

christinerocks
on 5/11/15 6:26 am, edited 5/11/15 6:36 am - AZ
RNY on 04/06/15

I hope you won't wait until tomorrow. If you can't keep any fluids down you could be in bad shape by then. Please take the advice of the experienced posters above and get to a doctor tonight.  And please also keep us posted on how you're doing!  Hugs and good healing vibes being sent your way!

________

137 pounds lost - from a 24/26W to a size 8/10!

karenp8
on 5/12/15 6:10 am - Brighton, IL

I hope you went to the ER overnight but if not call your doctor as soon as they open today. Swelling would get better not worse. Most likely you have a stricture which means you need a scope to diagnose it and an EGD to stretch it. Just minor procedures and you will feel better when they are done.

melissasue1982
on 5/12/15 6:14 am
RNY on 04/06/15

When I got home from work I was able to get powerade zero down to stay, and popsicles and I even had some pureed beef/veggie soup.  I dont know what the heck was going on yesterday afternoon.....really scary and strange!

I called my surgeons office and had to leave a voicemail this morning for them to call me back. 

I am going to stick with soft foods for a little while, I dont think the more solid foods they wanted me to be eating were agreeing with me!

Most Active
Recent Topics
A Year and a Month Out Already.
Watson · 1 replies · 27 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 420 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 400 views