Calorie Intake?

TexasLady52
on 5/11/15 8:40 am
Revision on 06/10/14

I read an article ...if you are always hungry, then you are not getting in enough protein.  Protein will keep you statiefied longer.  Try uping your protein daily.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 5/11/15 8:54 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I have yet to eat over 950 calories and I am 15 months out.  I walk 3 miles everyday and work out in the gym 3 to 5 days per week.  I've lost 191 lbs in 15 months and have a BMI of 25.  I do not lose weight at even 950 calories.  I have to eat under that -- 

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

(deactivated member)
on 5/12/15 9:41 am

I actually gain weight on 1200 calories and it frustrates me a lot.  Totally understand your post.  Slowly working at losing the 20 lbs I put on from eating 1200 cal/day and it has been a struggle.  I write down everything.  My surgeon is leaving Duke Univ for Chicago and I am seeing a new surgeon in a different practice next week to see if there are any new answers or ideas with fresh eyes. 

I used to work out 7 day/week [at 4 am mind you so I could get it into my busy day] lifting 8000+ lbs/day and walking 2-3 miles on the treadmill.  Surgeon told me I was not doing enough exercise every day.  Now, I have been told that I really need both knees replaced and I just cannot keep that exercise pace up any more due to pain in both knees so I have cut back.  Slowly getting back to the 4 am workouts in hopes that it makes a difference! 

Stay strong!

CerealKiller Kat71
on 5/12/15 12:58 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

Even though I am sad for you, it does help to know I am not alone.  I have this thing down to a science... seriously, over 950 calories I am at a full stop.  For me, exercise makes little to no difference except to make me hungrier!!  For a while, I was running 1 to 2 miles nearly every day and walking 3 miles -- doing the weight training 3 times per week.  I was starving but not really losing any faster.  I am convinced that you can't exercise away bad eating.  

I am so sorry for your knee pain!

(deactivated member)
on 5/13/15 4:27 am

Please don't be sad for me - be joyful.  You see, 6 years ago, I was told that I would be dead before I turned 60 if I did not get the excess weight off of me.  I lost 100 lbs , though I did gain 20 lbs back, have lost 5 of that, and I will be turning 60 in less than a month.  I no longer have all the co-morbidities that threatened my life. I beat those odds and my DH and PCP are proud of all that I have accomplished. These are just bumps in the road and I am making adjustments to get back where I need to be.  We all have to learn how our bodies respond to this surgery and there is no "one size fits most".  It is still just a tool and not the magic bullet.  Keep plugging along and God bless!

CerealKiller Kat71
on 5/13/15 4:50 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I feel the same way.  My motivation was that I didn't want my little son to find me dead in bed one morning.  As an insulin dependent diabetic with hypertension and sleep apnea -- I was a ticking time bomb.

I always say that my love for my son saved my life!!

Congratulations.  

Grim_Traveller
on 5/11/15 9:10 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Working out is great, but you have not gained massive amounts of muscle. If you were training for the Olympics, you might add a half pound of muscle per month. But if you are still losing a little weight, you are in a calorie deficit, and in a calorie deficit, you are losing muscle, not adding. It is a basic law of physiology.

If you want to lose more, you'll need to cut back on calories. 1800 is just way too many to lose.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/11/15 9:51 am

if I work out too much I get really hungry and I have blood sugar fluctuations (low blood sugar) that makes  me eat more food.  I had to change what I do and how much. 

When I try to lose weight- walking, yoga, even weightlifting - slow and steady - allows my body to burn fat - not sugar.. but running, aerobic, etc - any fast pasts exercise - and I get very hungry after,,  

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Nikke2003
on 5/11/15 10:56 am - PA
VSG on 05/13/13

I agree with the others, if you want to lose weight you definitely have to cut way back on the calories.

When I got closer and closer to a normal BMI, I started getting my body fat % tested. I know that you said you had a trainer do it; however, the best options for getting an actual accurate reading are DEXA scans, BodPod machines, and hydrostatic tests. Many people overestimate the amount of muscle they have... especially without using these tools. It can cost some money, but I found it to be VERY worth it. If you get a very accurate muscle mass and weight, the people doing the test should be able to give you a pretty precise calorie estimate.

For more info on my journey & goals, visit my blog at http://flirtybythirty.wordpress.com

Karen M.
on 5/11/15 12:19 pm - Mississauga, Canada

Not an RNY-fitness freak, but I do have some advice for you as a successful 9 year RNY vet:

You are eating too much. I am 9 years post-op and don't even come close to eating 1800 calories per day. Too. Much. Food.

I'm sorry you don't believe in the BMI chart, I do. You are 4'11" and weigh around 180 pounds - please have a look at the BMI chart, even if you don't believe in it. It will give you a base idea of where you're at in your weight loss journey.

I'm sorry, but you have not put on "massive amounts of muscle" and there is really nothing "complicated" about this situation at all. You are only 9 months post-op, still have about 60 pounds to lose and are excusing away over-eating with your new exercise routine. You cannot out-exercise a bad diet.

How strict do you need to be?  Well, how much overweight do you want to remain?

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 505 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 401 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 420 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 234 views
What?s on this Sunday?s menu?