Hi I am on preop diet and need advised

kim_pei
on 5/11/15 12:17 am - Canada

My surgery is May 26th and I am currently on my preop diet.  I gained 16lbs in the 8 months from signing the papers for surgery to my first preop appointment.  I was told that I would need to do well on my first weigh in on May 19th in order to proceed with the final week and then my surgery.  I started 4 days early to jump start it and even though its hard I am sticking to it and doing a lot of self talk to stay on track... Does anyone have any suggestions that may help.  I am on an 800 cal slim time med liquid diet.  I am alllowed to have as much water and crystal light as I want, sugar free gum and 1 black tea per day.  In 11 days what is possible to lose if I stick to it?

mornings
on 5/11/15 2:15 am - Canada

hello  your surgery is the same day as mine ,  and yes it is possible ,  maybe up your exercise that too will help ,,  try to not stress over it , usually they still do the surgery because your booked , but  I say don't stress because if you stress it can cause you to gain  as well  im told ,   so relax  do your best that's all they really ask for and  good luck on your surgery  my diet starts Tuesday  glucernia ,  4 cans a day and 2 glasses of skim milk and all the water I wish to drink  

Chilipepper
on 5/11/15 12:25 am, edited 5/11/15 12:25 am
On May 11, 2015 at 2:15 AM Pacific Time, mornings wrote:

hello  your surgery is the same day as mine ,  and yes it is possible ,  maybe up your exercise that too will help ,,  try to not stress over it , usually they still do the surgery because your booked , but  I say don't stress because if you stress it can cause you to gain  as well  im told ,   so relax  do your best that's all they really ask for and  good luck on your surgery  my diet starts Tuesday  glucernia ,  4 cans a day and 2 glasses of skim milk and all the water I wish to drink  

I am sure she will be fine but to say that they will do the surgery because she is "booked" is bad information. There are medical reasons the surgeons put their patients on a preop diet. You are passing incorrect information and to new patients seeking WLS.

Good Luck to both of you. 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

mornings
on 5/12/15 9:49 pm - Canada

hello  I  actually said usually they don't cancel a booking  reason for also saying this is stress is a very bad barrier  for weight again too ,    I would think perhaps if she doesn't stress as much and concentrates on what  she is suppost to do they would not have any reason to cancel either ,   

White Dove
on 5/11/15 5:58 am - Warren, OH

You need to get an accurate scale and start weighing daily.

People who do not weigh themselves never know if they are doing well on their weight loss.  Sort of like driving a car with no speedometer and waiting for a cop to stop you and say you are going too fast.

If you weigh daily you remove some of the stress of wondering if you are going to be low enough for your first appointment.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

CerealKiller Kat71
on 5/11/15 8:34 am
RNY on 12/31/13
On May 11, 2015 at 12:17 AM Pacific Time, kim_pei wrote:

My surgery is May 26th and I am currently on my preop diet.  I gained 16lbs in the 8 months from signing the papers for surgery to my first preop appointment.  I was told that I would need to do well on my first weigh in on May 19th in order to proceed with the final week and then my surgery.  I started 4 days early to jump start it and even though its hard I am sticking to it and doing a lot of self talk to stay on track... Does anyone have any suggestions that may help.  I am on an 800 cal slim time med liquid diet.  I am alllowed to have as much water and crystal light as I want, sugar free gum and 1 black tea per day.  In 11 days what is possible to lose if I stick to it?

I am sorry if this sounds harsh, but I am going to be really honest with you.

You will notice a lot of posts of people who have regain, never meet their goal or struggling after surgery.  A lot of the time this is because they view surgery as a magic fix to cure them of obesity.  But I am here to tell you, it is not.  It's a great tool -- but it doesn't magically fix all the problems that got us to the point of being obese in the first place.  That "fixing" takes a lot of work -- and it's something that's pretty much the rest of your life -- 

That said, if I'd gained 16 pounds during my 8 months before WLS -- I would be really looking into why.  It seems to me that there is an issue there that might well be addressed now, rather than after re-arranging your guts.  At the very least, I would want to get my support lined up NOW to increase my opportunity to be successful post surgery.  During the 9 months supervised weight loss, I became active in my support group, posted here a lot and sought counseling privately with a eating disorder counselor.  I can't express how important these things have been in the time since surgery.  

Surgeons DO cancel surgery all the time if they don't think a patient is committed or able to follow plan.  Do I think that will happen to you? Probably not.  It is possible, however.  There are also medical reasons for requiring weight loss before surgery -- as Chili brought up -- because they want to make your liver as small as possible.  This makes surgery safer for you.  

It is possible to lose a lot of weight on the pre-op diet.  I lost nearly 26 pounds in the two weeks before surgery -- but again, I highly encourage you to take this time before your surgery to explore your relationship with food, how you are going to cope with a different relationship with it and to set up some positive support for your new life after surgery to maximize your potential for success.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

gigemgarcia
on 5/11/15 9:09 am
RNY on 12/08/14

I completely concur with this statement. The pre-op diet is so important to shrinking the liver so the surgeon can manage the surgery better. Before surgery, my surgeon told me that if I didn't comply and my liver hadn't shrunk down, he would close me up without performing the surgery. 

TexasLady52
on 5/11/15 9:07 am
Revision on 06/10/14

I was to do a liquid diet for a week.....I was so determined and excited  for this WLS I started two days early.  I mainly drank Atkins Chocolate Royale.....If I got hunger pains...I would grab one......drank lots of water....I tried to stay busy and keep my mind off of food...... I still had to cook for my family...but I knew how bad I wanted this surgery and that would overcome the emotions of wanting to eat.....you can do this

kim_pei
on 5/12/15 8:47 am - Canada

Thank you everyone for your responses.  It was all what I needed to hear.  I am committed to this surgery and lifestyle.   So far down 6 pounds and 7 more days to my weigh in 1 week preop. I keep focused on the goal and keep busy. Once again thanks so much! 

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 500 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 399 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 419 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 231 views
What?s on this Sunday?s menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 121 views
A Year and a Month Out Already.