1 week post-op and worried that I'm screwing everything up. Why is it so easy to get protein...

mute
on 5/11/15 9:55 am
RNY on 03/23/15

I'm way jealous of you being able to get that much protein in! I'm just now able to hit around 65 grams consistently with 1 protein shake a day.

Melinda

HW: 377 SW: 362 CW:131

TOTAL LOSS: 249 pounds

(deactivated member)
on 5/11/15 10:24 am
RNY on 05/04/15

The grass is always greener, yadda yadda yadda!

mute
on 5/11/15 10:02 am
RNY on 03/23/15

I feel completely silly saying this because I'm still regularly freaking out like 90% of the time but you're just freaking out. I freaked out the weekend before my surgery that I would be the person it didn't work for too. i think it's normal from what I can tell. 

I wasn't drinking as many protein shakes as you, and I still don't because I'd prefer to get my protein from food. And I know you love milk but if your plan is to stick to a certain amount of calories I'd switch that up as well. 

It sounds like you got great advice from earlier posters. I just wanted to say that it's super early for you and you're doing fine!

Melinda

(deactivated member)
on 5/11/15 10:29 am
RNY on 05/04/15

Thanks, I appreciate that.  =)  I definitely hope to get my protein from food as soon as I'm allowed to eat it, lol. My plan says nothing about calories, but it also says nothing about any restrictions this early on and seems to assume that everyone will have trouble, so I kind of have to go off on my own and realize that my plan wasn't really written for me.

mute
on 5/11/15 10:45 am
RNY on 03/23/15

Lol, yeah sorry about that - I realize you can't eat anything right now! So yes protein shakes are a good way to go :) I couldn't stomach the protein shakes that much was my problem. I think it's great you realize that your plan isn't written for you and you have to do what's best for you. I learned that here around 3 weeks so you're ahead of my curve!

Melinda

CerealKiller Kat71
on 5/11/15 10:39 am
RNY on 12/31/13

You're correct that dense protein is always preferable to liquid/slider protein. You will definitely get more satiety and the most from your restriction that way.  However, the op's post-op sounds similar to what mine was -- a stepped program from surgery through a liquid diet, puréed, soft and finally regular food. I'm thinking she's still in those stages somewhere. But, at your stage, eating dense protein is definitely the best route!!--- and 65 grams is good progress!

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

mute
on 5/11/15 10:47 am
RNY on 03/23/15

Thanks - I realized after the fact that duh of course she can't get hers from eating right now. I'd like to get more protein in, I'm working on it!

Melinda

CerealKiller Kat71
on 5/11/15 10:53 am
RNY on 12/31/13

Seriously-- you're doing great. A lot of people aren't getting 65 in at 2 months out.  Keep working little by little.  Soon it'll be easy getting more than 80 in a day. 

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

christinerocks
on 5/11/15 1:19 pm - AZ
RNY on 04/06/15

Melinda, Just so you know, you also inspired me to try Zumba! I did it at home using Youtube.  I could only get 20 minutes but I'm working up to a full 45 - 60 minutes.  Once I can get there I will get myself to a class, like you did. I know it isn't a memory you want to relieve but you are doing great and you're inspiring people, like me.  Thank you! 

________

137 pounds lost - from a 24/26W to a size 8/10!

mute
on 5/11/15 1:30 pm
RNY on 03/23/15

Posts like that are totally going to make me cry!! Thank you for letting me know. I never thought about doing it on youtube actually. I might have to try zumba on there. I just started a Leslie Sansone walking video. I figure I will do this at home for the next month and then try a different class at the Y in June. Which is still terrifying but we'll see. 

Seriously - thank you. I needed that today :) or anytime!

Melinda

Most Active
Recent Topics
A Year and a Month Out Already.
Watson · 1 replies · 26 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 420 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 400 views