1 week post-op and worried that I'm screwing everything up. Why is it so easy to get protein...

Navychic
on 5/11/15 5:43 am
RNY on 02/09/15

FYI I use Syntrax Nectar or Matrix protein powder for my shakes 23 G Protein, 25 calories, & 1 carb...and I make it with Almond milk which only adds 30 more calories. 

I agree with the poster above, it really sound like you're just getting overwhelmed.  You know the rules, you did your research, just take a breath and go with it.  Youre still so early, try to cut yourself a break... good Luck

I'm Jo   HW 245, SW 236, CW 151 Yeah (Normal BMI!!!!)

M1=213 (-23), M2=201 (-12), M3=186 (-15), M4=175(-11), M5=166(-9), M6=157(-9), M7=153(-4) 

CerealKiller Kat71
on 5/11/15 6:39 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I just want to clarify since I use both Nectar and Matrix for my shakes with Almond milk.

1/4 scoop has 25 calories (Nectar).  A full scoop is 100 calories.

Matrix has MORE calories and carbs than Nectar -- it's 140 calories per full scoop.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

hollykim
on 5/11/15 8:24 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On May 11, 2015 at 5:43 AM Pacific Time, Navychic wrote:

FYI I use Syntrax Nectar or Matrix protein powder for my shakes 23 G Protein, 25 calories, & 1 carb...and I make it with Almond milk which only adds 30 more calories. 

I agree with the poster above, it really sound like you're just getting overwhelmed.  You know the rules, you did your research, just take a breath and go with it.  Youre still so early, try to cut yourself a break... good Luck

FYI,a full scoop of Nectar is 100 cals and about 4 carbs.

and actually,different forms inthe nectar line have different stats. 

CerealKiller Kat71
on 5/11/15 6:33 am
RNY on 12/31/13

You aren't going to feel "full" for a while.  Your nerves have been cut and you cannot rely on your pouch for a while.  It's a big liar.  

Secondly, liquids and slider foods (things that slide through) will never make you feel full.  Your pouch is like a funnel.  Liquid things drain through really fast.  Some people have trouble early out taking in their liquids and feel a "fullness"  -- but that is because they are swollen and things aren't going through correctly yet.  Not having that feeling does NOT mean anything is wrong... you're just lucky.  You are healing well -- and that is NOT a negative.

I never had trouble getting my fluids or protein in.  I had similar concerns to you.  I have lost 191 pounds.  Relax.

That said, I do think you can lower your caloric intake.  Going over the protein IS not a bad thing, but truthfully, you don't need to make yourself miserable, either.  For example, you can have more protein shakes a day by altering the way you are making them.  I used/use Nectar brand with unsweetened almond milk.  That gives me 21 g of protein with only 130 calories.  I also use the fruity Nectar with jus****er or a similar flavored crystal light.  That's only 100 calories.  Often times programs recommend using milk to up the protein in the shakes because most people have trouble getting enough in to get their protein levels.  You do not have that problem.  Hunger is NOT an emergency to quote a favorite vet of mine... start using non-caloric drinks, sugar free popsicles and movement to fill those times ...

Overall, I think like most of us, you are just scared that you are going to be the one person that surgery doesn't work for.  We ALL have that fear.  We have all tried so many times in the past, only to feel like miserable failures when it didn't work.  BUT... this time really is different.  You have an amazing tool -- and truly, the only people I have personally seen fail were those who fail to truly try to USE the tool or have some sort of really ****ty complication.  You sound like you are healing wonderfully, trying really hard and are committed to making the changes to be successful.  

(deactivated member)
on 5/11/15 10:21 am
RNY on 05/04/15

"I never had trouble getting my fluids or protein in.  I had similar concerns to you.  I have lost 191 pounds.  Relax."

Thank you so much, that might be the most helpful thing I've ever read! They gave my oxycodone for recovery, but I'm starting to think I could have benefited more from Xanax.

I love the almond milk idea, and I plan to buy some today. I made my morning shake with water today, and it wasn't horrible, but it was definitely missing the "creaminess" of the milk. I didn't buy any almond milk pre-op because it offered no extra protein, but at that point I didn't realize that I would be in a position to not really need it. If I don't need milk for the protein, I certainly don't need the calories from it either. My husband bought some of the fruity Syntrax too that I might try...I didn't like it much pre-op, but it's worth another shot.

Thank you so much for this response. It was incredibly helpful, and I'm starting to feel a lot better.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 5/11/15 10:27 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I like the creaminess too. Lately I've been using unsweetened cashew milk.  It's even more creamy and only 25 calories!  Also, almond breeze vanilla almond milk UNSWEETENED is wonderful at 30. 

I didn't like the fruity nectar either until I started mixing it with similar crystal light flavors. Try that!

(deactivated member)
on 5/11/15 10:33 am
RNY on 05/04/15

Ooh that sounds good; I'll look for some cashew milk today too. Interestingly, my only post-op problem so far has been terrible gas, and that hasn't been an issue this morning having my first dairy-free breakfast, so maybe I have multiple reasons to become a non-dairy "milk" connoisseur, lol.

Great idea about the Crystal Light! That's mostly what I've been living on for fluids. What ratio do you use for water to Crystal Light to Syntrax?

CerealKiller Kat71
on 5/11/15 10:49 am
RNY on 12/31/13

It's extremely common to develop lactose intolerance after RNY. There's also a lot of sugar in milk -- so I'm not surprised!

since I'm more like you in that I never had trouble getting fluids down -- I'd make a normal glass/bottle of crystal light or Mio and add half a scoop of the Nectar two times in a day. That way I could feel like I was having more -- two shakes for the calories of one and 16 oz of hydration to boot. 😎

(deactivated member)
on 5/11/15 4:02 pm
RNY on 05/04/15

Where did you find cashew milk for only 25 calories a cup? My mom ran out to the grocery store for me and came back with original flavored Silk cashew milk, but it's 60 calories. It doesn't say "unsweetened" anywhere on the carton, but she said they only had that and flavored ones. It's really good though! Even the Silk light almond milk has 40 calories I think. Both have less sugar than skim milk.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 5/11/15 5:14 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

I use Almond Breeze unsweetened almond milk as it tastes better and has less calories than Silk brand.  

I use Silk UNSWEETENED Cashew milk -- must be unsweetened otherwise you are better off getting the protein of milk for the difference in calories.  The UNSWEETENED is at the top usually in pink or blue.

Most Active
Recent Topics
A Year and a Month Out Already.
Watson · 1 replies · 27 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 420 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 400 views