Sorry about other post....need help with labs

bublegirl1
on 4/30/15 7:45 am
RNY on 11/10/14

I posted my labs and the other link but forgot to take out all my personal information so I deleted it and I will repost here. Basically my surgeon says my labs are all normal but my iron is on the low side and to increase the dose if I don't get any side effects like constipation or diarrhea.   But other numbers seem on the low end to me as well so I was just hoping someone could take a look and give me their opinion. I'm just feeling really frustrated. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

-Amie

ShebasMom
on 4/30/15 1:24 pm, edited 4/30/15 1:25 pm
Revision on 07/05/16

BUN and creatinine are related to kidney function. A high creatinine is more concerning because it would be related to kidney failure.  Also a high BUN ratio to a normal or low creatinine is not of any clinical significance.

Your APS is slightly elevated. Most of it is made in the liver and bones. Rapid weight loss (liver/gallstones) and poor nutrition from malabsorption (bones) can cause it to rise. The normal high level peaks in a 13 year old at 575 and slowly goes down to 100 in adults. Make sure you're taking 1500 mg of calcium citrate daily.

I would agree with your MD and increase your iron. I use carbonyl iron with vit C (from VitaLady.com). It is non constipating. Your doctor should recheck your iron in 3 months.

What was your vit D level before surgery? We need levels > 70 < 100. Please call you doctor and ask if you can start or increase your vit D.  Make sure the D is in dry form, since we malabsorb the oil in a softgel. You will need to order your Vit D3 online, since is hard to find > 2000 IU OTC. Vitacost and VitaLady have dry D (capsules). Most RNY take Vit D and require between 4000 to 15,000 IU daily to have normal levels. Please don't overdose on vit D, because it can be toxic. It is better to start lower and adjust with your labs. Also, the prescription form is D2, which the body has to convert to D3. This lab should be rechecked in 3 months.

I hope I was able to help and not confuse.

Donna

HW322 SW296 GW150 LW196 

RNY 8-29-11

Revision to Distal bypass 7-5-16

SW262 GW165 

John 3:16

bublegirl1
on 4/30/15 1:50 pm
RNY on 11/10/14

I just Read it again. So the fact that my overall creatinine is normal I shouldn't worry about that right now? Because the BUN ratio isn't as important? Thanks again because you made me feel better!

-Amie

bublegirl1
on 4/30/15 1:48 pm
RNY on 11/10/14

Thank you so so much! Yes I told him before the labs I hadn't been good at my calcium and D combo. So he increased it to 4 times a day. I try hard. I've been getting about 3 in so far. So hard to not be able to take it anywhere by the iron. 

So should I not worry about the BUN creatinine as of now? I don't know what my calcium levels were preop. 

-Amie

seattledeb
on 4/30/15 5:41 pm

You have lovely creatinine and BUN levels. Those are normal.

bublegirl1
on 5/1/15 2:16 pm
RNY on 11/10/14

Thank you!

-Amie

bublegirl1
on 5/1/15 2:17 pm
RNY on 11/10/14
ShebasMom
on 5/1/15 2:00 pm, edited 5/1/15 2:09 pm
Revision on 07/05/16

double post, see comment below

ShebasMom
on 5/1/15 2:06 pm
Revision on 07/05/16

What was your dose for calcium citrate and vit D? We need 1500 mg of calcium citrate a day.  I assume you're taking your vit D separate because over time you will need to increase it.  I take 2 calcium citrates at b-fast, lunch and dinner and my iron at bedtime.

Just a FYI, a serum calcium level should stay in a normal range. Your heart functioning depends on calcium. When the level goes down, your body robs calcium from your bones. A dexascan will tell you more about bone health.

Don't worry about your BUN creatinine for now.

HW322 SW296 GW150 LW196 

RNY 8-29-11

Revision to Distal bypass 7-5-16

SW262 GW165 

John 3:16

bublegirl1
on 5/1/15 2:13 pm, edited 5/1/15 2:14 pm
RNY on 11/10/14

I take calcium citrate plus D from citrical. I was taking it at breakfast because I was taking a multivitamin without Iron so it was easy to get my first dose in. But then even with setting my phone alarm I wasn't taking the rest of the doses most days. Now I'm taking a multi with iron so I have to wait two hours before I take my calcium. But now writing this, I'm wondering if I can still take the morning dose with my multi since i take my iron supplement at night? Because It's hinders the absorption of the iron not the calcium right? So maybe the iron in the multi isn't that important since I supplement it.  I appreciate your response and help so much. 

-Amie

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 53 replies · 485 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 390 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 402 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 20 replies · 226 views
What?s on this Sunday?s menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 118 views